9-11 seed hubs on a 8 speed bike?

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I'm thinking of putting my Hope / Open pro wheels ( see http://www.hopetech.com/product/mavic-o ... pro-2-evo/) onto my winter trainer, from my 'good bike'. Only thing the hope hubs are 9/10/11 speed according to the blurb, but my winter trainer is 8 speed.

Is this a problem that can be overcome or should I give up now before spending any time on this? Never messed around with spacers on the hubs before, so really don't know what I'm doing here.

Thanks.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    No difference between 8 and 9 speed. Moved all my bikes from 8 to 9, including two wheelsets with Hope Pro 2 Evo's (the rest being Pro-Lite's and some cheap Shimano and Quando's). Didn't require a spacer. But when i bought them they weren't advertised as 9/10/11 speed as 10 speed was just getting popular and 11 didn't exist. So, unless they've altered the Pro2 Evo's in the last couple of years to accommodate the (assumed) larger 11 speed cassettes it should work.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Thanks, that's useful.

I bought the hope hubs last year, so I assume they should take 8/9 speed.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.