tyres

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for some tyres to replace my balding schwalbe luganos that came as stock on my cube.

They have been decent to me, I'm wanting keep Costs down and will be riding on wet roads this winter.

I'm looking at Michelin lithium 2 folding or more schwalbe lugano but the folding type. Which do I go for? Or are there better under £25?

Comments

• Of the two you've listed, the Lithions seem to have a better review.

I use Conti Gatorskins as my training tyres, and I don't really use anything else in winter. You might have a couple of people saying they're slippery in the wet and you should buy the ridiculously expensive 4 seasons, but as long as you don't pump them to 12psi they'll be fine.
    I find them great value because of the huge mileage you can put into them before having to bin them (I've had 2 whole years for my current pair and I'll probably get the next winter from them) - and if the rubber gets small cuts in it you don't get any more punctures than normal because of the tough carcass- a little superglue and you're good to go.

I haven't had a puncture on them (touch wood!) for well over 2k miles now, but on this pair I did get unlucky and have 2 in the first 500miles or so, then none for nearly a year.

They are fairly weighty, but they should see you through the winter (and probably the one after that!)

You can get them reasonably cheaply but it does seem that the Gatorskins have been discontinued over the Hardshell versions (more expensive) but you should be able to find a pair if you shop around.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Extend your budget and get some vittoria open pave, well worth the £70 a pair. They do wear after around 2000 miles but that's not bad for the average rider/commuter.
  • thank you but trying to keep the budget to £50 or less for the pair
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Bontrager hardcase then :wink:
  • Never even looked at those - thanks.

Schwalbe Durano??
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Yes, the Durano is a good tyre that last a very long time.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    dave35 wrote:
    Extend your budget and get some vittoria open pave, well worth the £70 a pair. They do wear after around 2000 miles but that's not bad for the average rider/commuter.

are these still splitting? a pair I had were prone to splits in rubeer and got punctures really easily. They were however a revelation at Flanders sportive.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Flanners1 wrote:
    dave35 wrote:

are these still splitting? a pair I had were prone to splits in rubeer and got punctures really easily. They were however a revelation at Flanders sportive.

They are a beautiful tyre, very fast and comfy; but they do wear out very quickly and cut up like no other tyre. P***ture protection isn't ever so good either.

They are amazing to ride on, but I wouldn't consider them for anything other than special events. There are faster and stronger tyres available, but not quite as supple.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I shopped around to find Michelin Pro4 Endurance at £50 for the pair and am stunned by how good they are. I have been running GP4s for a few years now (Gatorskins are horribly slippery in the wet and winter regardless of what is said above, and I don't pump tyres beyond 100psi despite being 98kg) but got a sidewall cut and couldn't believe the cost to replace it, so started checking around. Very, very impressed with the Pro 4. Grippy yesterday in the leaf strewn, damp, gravelly Hampshire lanes. Roll very well, look uber-stealth in all black and were the same price for a pair as a single RRP Conti (yes you can find them at around £36 in the sales but why bother?!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris