recommend me a commuting saddle...

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Putting together a bike for a very short daily commute (about 2 miles). Will just be wearing jeans, normal shoes, small rucksack etc. On the road bikes I am a Specialized Toupe fan, but with jeans and no chamois the standard/pro model toupes are not particularly comfortable.

Was wondering if the toupe gel is significantly different, i.e. if the padding would effectively substitute for the missing chamois. Or any other recommendations?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't think the gel will make too much of a difference but it might. I'm a great fan of the old Toupe RBX Gel which is no longer made - it's great for all-day riding. Depending upon the size, you might still find the larger or smaller one. The Charge Spoon seems to be a popular saddle. If you're commuting for just a short distance, just about anything will be fine. These days I do a dash across Amsterdam on my Paddy Wagon SS and the bog standard saddle is fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    For a 2 mile daily commute a rusty hacksaw blade would be adequate, if the charge spoon doesn't appeal the madison prime is similarly cheap and cheerful (nearly identical in fact) and I can recommend it.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Yeah, you'd think anything would be fine for 2 miles but it's amazing how the same saddle that's fine for 80 miles in lycra is immediately uncomfortable with jeans and a rucksack. And this bike is just going to be used for commuting, twice a day, most days.. Just got hold of a current model toupe sport gel, and it's /much/ more padded than my 2 or 3 year old toupe pros, maybe even too padded... Will give it a go and take advantage of specialized's refund/exchange thing if it doesn't work.
  • Charge spoon as mentioned above, my regular commuting saddle in normalish clothes.
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    Having just ditched my Spesh Romin Expert Gel, in favour of the £20 Charge Spoon, which is ultimately more comfortable, I'm sure you could do 10miles without padding let alone 2 !
  • Zak3737 wrote:
    Having just ditched my Spesh Romin Expert Gel, in favour of the £20 Charge Spoon, which is ultimately more comfortable, I'm sure you could do 10miles without padding let alone 2 !

I have the spoon on my commute bike, do the odd potter into central London and back 30/40 miles no issues in normal clothes.
  • These are excellent (and cheap):

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SAOOBN/on- ... ose-saddle

I use on them on my time trial bikes and on my winter training bike.