Ribble R872 vs HF83 vs my existing Sportive (racing)

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Having considered some fancier, more expensive options I'm back to Ribble. I currently ride a Sportive (racing) which I've had for a few years. I tend to ride pretty hard and do a lot of climbing.
So far the Sportive has served me pretty well but I'd like to try something a little sportier. Whilst I do the odd sportive comfort isn't too much of a problem.

So, I like the look of the Ribble R872 (Stealth) and would probably have ordered one of these except for the HF83. Now I'm thinking, this one costs more it must be better! One problem is whilst there is plenty of positive info on the R872, there's hardly anything on the HF83.
At the end of the day the R872 is sexier and cheaper, but as I'd budgeted for nearly twice this much I'd be interested in opinions on the HF83.

Thanks

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    IME spending twice as much does not get you a bike or frame that is anyway near twice as good, if you like the R872 get that one and up the spec.
  • The R872 appears to have disappeared off the Ribble website, has it been discontinued??
  • CptKernow
    spanner239 wrote:
    The R872 appears to have disappeared off the Ribble website, has it been discontinued??
    You can find it via Google, but not through the site: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ibbfrar970
  • CptKernow
    diamonddog wrote:
    IME spending twice as much does not get you a bike or frame that is anyway near twice as good, if you like the R872 get that one and up the spec.

Not so much the price - both are within budget. More interested in how they ride, particularly as compared to my current Sportive frame.