shimano wide fit shoes: how wide?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I have rather wide feet. Want some road shoes and am tempted by some Shimano RO88 wide shoes at Wiggle. Anyone else have these? Are they really wide (eg Lakes fit nicely but ££££)

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• My first pair of cyling shoes were Shimano(not wide fit) but I found over time that I was getting corns on my little toe. I don't consider my feet to be wide but although the Shimano's were fine heel to toe they were tight on width.
    After searching forums for advice I was pointed towards the Specialized Body Geometry range. I now use the Elite Touring shoe(SPD), I'm on my second pair now. They are definitely wider than the Shimamo's. The 'BG' range is extensive and is available in SPD-SL or SPD.
    Here is the SPD-SL version for similar money to the R088's - https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialized_elite_road_shoe_2014-ID_56481?gclid=CMmkuNjrucECFYzHtAodnl0A2A
    Reviewed here -http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/shoes/product/review-specialized-elite-road-shoes-12-45857/
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Not that wide IME, bear in mind that the standard fitting ones are quite narrow. The only shoes I can get away with are Northwave. I also find that I'd need to size up in Specialized to get the width but the shoe then doesn't fit everywhere else….
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I had to change my M088 shoes to the same size but in 'wide fit'. I would say the Shimano wide fit shoes are the same width as normal shoes would be! So not wide at all.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Not that wide IME, bear in mind that the standard fitting ones are quite narrow. The only shoes I can get away with are Northwave. I also find that I'd need to size up in Specialized to get the width but the shoe then doesn't fit everywhere else….
    Ah. I have Spesh at the mo', and like yours they are hopeless: my feet move around too much and heel is too loose

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I have had the RO86 and now 87's. The sizes do vary but I do find shimano shoes quite wide. On my 87's I have 2 pairs in a 48. They aren't the widefit either but are comfy enoughfor my flat wide feet. The 86's I had were only a size 47. I find it strange the sizes vary but I'm more than happy with them. If youhave the option buy multiple pairs and send back the ones you don't want.
    Good luck in your search
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • As long as you're in the UK then Wiggle do free returns via Collect+, so you could buy some different sizes and just send them back if they don't work for you.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    SecretSam wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Ah. I have Spesh at the mo', and like yours they are hopeless: my feet move around too much and heel is too loose

Same problem I had; far to much movement around the heal. Luckily after 3-4 outings Leisure Lakes let me return my S-Works shoes after they they had literally worn away the heel in my socks. First time I've tried moving away from NW in 10 years - won't' try it again…...
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”