Sizes for Assos and Castelli bibs

Sutton_Rider
Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of buying some bibs and looking at Assos or Castelli, but have no clue about the size I need. Far too many conflicting statements on the net. So what size do I need? I'm also looking for comfort rather than speed.

I'm 5' 7" (170cms) - 70 kg - W 34"

Comments

• cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    best is to try on.

Assos seem to size on height rather than waist. If you have particularly long or short legs, work out by body length.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Problem is no one around here stocks them so it would have to be mail order, therefore extra cost sending the wrong ones back. Want to give it the best guess first time if I can. But thanks for your input.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    You do seems to be in a bit of a vacuum...

Some of the larger online dealers do appear to offer free returns, so working out best two sizes and send one back may not be to big a deal.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Castelli are absurdly undersized relative to their sizing chart. I'm 1.78m (5'10") and 86kg. I take suze L in most bibs. I had to go for XXL in Castelli. Their size charts are also nonsense. There's no way anyone the with my dimensions could comfortably fit into the size the chart indicates.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Problem is no one around here stocks them so it would have to be mail order, therefore extra cost sending the wrong ones back. Want to give it the best guess first time if I can. But thanks for your input.

Similar height and wear exclusively Castelli. Bib shorts size L in the Rosso Corsa range and jersey size M. Where a lot of people go wrong is expecting them to be comfortable while walking around. They're cut to be comfortable when you're on the bike so expect the shoulder straps to be a little tight when standing upright.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    philthy3 wrote:
    Problem is no one around here stocks them so it would have to be mail order, therefore extra cost sending the wrong ones back. Want to give it the best guess first time if I can. But thanks for your input.

Similar height and wear exclusively Castelli. Bib shorts size L in the Rosso Corsa range and jersey size M. Where a lot of people go wrong is expecting them to be comfortable while walking around. They're cut to be comfortable when you're on the bike so expect the shoulder straps to be a little tight when standing upright.
    I know how they're supposed to fit and the straps aren't the problem. The fit just doesn't correspond to their charts
  • cattytown wrote:
    You do seems to be in a bit of a vacuum...

Some of the larger online dealers do appear to offer free returns, so working out best two sizes and send one back may not be to big a deal.

Paul.

Order from wiggle free Collect+ returns
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Most stuff I am L.
    Assos I am XL. Particularly they seem to be skimpy on leg diameter which is surprising for cycling stuff. The size L had a thigh diameter suitable for my biceps.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I'm 5ft 10in, 70kg and 33W. Assos medium shorts are a perfect snug fit. Large are OK but a bit loose in the crotch. I have previously used Castellis shorts in large and they had a similar fit to medium Assos. But it's always a bit of a lottery. I have three Castelli shirts in large - two are a relaxed fit, the other is skin tight.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Castelli are absurdly undersized relative to their sizing chart. I'm 1.78m (5'10") and 86kg. I take suze L in most bibs. I had to go for XXL in Castelli. Their size charts are also nonsense. There's no way anyone the with my dimensions could comfortably fit into the size the chart indicates.

I have to agree with this - ASSOS sizing is far more predictable - Castelli does appear to be more random.

I could happily predict that ASSOS bibs in medium would fit you, however with regards to Castelli - I would not even dare to make a prediction with any sort of guarantee.
  • For me, Large in Assos, XL in Castelli.

The XL's are, arguably, that little bit tighter than the Assos but once I've "seated" them they are lovely.

I could go to XXL but, when you do that, the leg length gets weird.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 on Castelli sizes being ridiculously small.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I'm 5' 8", 68KG 30" waist and have all kinds of fun with bib sizes. I have a shorter torso and long legs so getting the right size has been a challenge. I currently have two pairs of Assos bibs. One pair is a medium and the other is a small with a slightly longer leg. If I was being picky I would say the medium are a little bit big but only because they have a little more give in the straps. However I don't wear the Assos bibs any more as I prefer the pad in the Rapha Pro team bibs which are an XS.