Whats the most fun mountain bike on sale?

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at getting a new mountain bike as my Scott spark 30 is just about dead. I don't want to set lap records just have the most amount of fun I can with half decent value for money.
So what's the most fun?
I am going to use it for Dalby forest as my local weekly ride which my current bike is in its element then I do week long trips every couple of months to black Scottish and welsh trail centres and it needs to handle natural rides well like torridon ect where it seems to struggle.
I just don't want to end up getting a bike that's overkill for what I do since I am basically using an old XC race bike atm and seems to only really struggle on the natural rides and some black trail centre features with pinch flats and dented rims from only having space for low tyre volumes.

I have my eye on a canyon spectral 27.5 (140mm travel) would that be a good choice?

Thanks for the help!
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    For me, a mid travel, fairly slack, lightish (for the ups), single ring, stiff fork and frame, compliant suspension would be my wants.

Lower budget - Mega TR
    Higher budget - SC Solo with a Pike

Cant imagine being bored on either of them.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    Assuming the budget is 'enough' for a decent bike I would agree with PS's summary for most people, I'm still on a hardtail as for me it feels most connected and I can scare myself at a slower speed than on a 'better' bike and so my inevitable offs hurt a little less.

There are many decent bikes that fit that description, ranging in budget from just over £1k through past £4k, generally the more you spend the better the bike, suspension being the most critical single 'component' for the fun factor.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    jon1993 wrote:
    ... just have the most amount of fun I can with half decent value for money.

Kona Process 134. Brilliant fun, better than bikes I've ridden at more than twice the price, and some stonking deals on the 2014 model right now.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • For me, a mid travel, fairly slack, lightish (for the ups), single ring, stiff fork and frame, compliant suspension would be my wants.

Lower budget - Mega TR

I would concur.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For me, a mid travel, fairly slack, lightish (for the ups), single ring, stiff fork and frame, compliant suspension would be my wants.

Lower budget - Mega TR

Mega TR meets all the criteria you mentioned except compliant suspension, the standard shock is extremely harsh in the first third of it's stroke. Put on a better shock though and it's excellent.
    It's a really fun bike and a good xc bike. It's the only bike I have owned which I can ride 40 miles one day and ride 40 foot jumps the next day.
  • paul.skibum

Lower budget - Mega TR

Mega TR meets all the criteria you mentioned except compliant suspension, the standard shock is extremely harsh in the first third of it's stroke. Put on a better shock though and it's excellent.
    It's a really fun bike and a good xc bike. It's the only bike I have owned which I can ride 40 miles one day and ride 40 foot jumps the next day.

Only ridden one a short distance on a flat then uphill trail but it felt fun on the terrain I rode it considering I was in 510's and the pedals were spd. Solo I imagine being a lighter but equally able version of my Bronson but not tried one. I'd have gone for a Solo if I lived in the Uk instead of Whistler.
  • Really enjoying my Remedy at the moment. Finding it pretty much perfect. I don't think there are many 140mm trail bikes out there that are better. Different, yes, but not better.

I also agree with the Mega TR and Solo options mentioned.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fun is incredibly subjective - a fully rigid bike can be hilarious to ride!
  • jon1993
    The budget ideally is about 2k although I could stretch it to 2500 if there's enough of a benefit to warrant it,
    I agree a rigid is awesome and great fun more so when you do fort william on a £100 tesco bike for a laugh ;) the reason I say it has to be fs is unfortunately I have a bad back so I need it to take the trail chatter out of the ride so It doesn't stop me riding from pain. Atm I have a rp23 rear shock and reba rl front forks 120mm on a spark 26er frame and im happy with the amount of suspension possibly a little more is preferable but it just doesn't feel strong enough to withstand black or natural trails. It also doesn't feel natural to jump or throw around like my friends canyon spectral for instance.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • The Rookie
    That budget gives a lot of options, you could also consider stripping the Scott and putting the bits into a new frame (if they are good) which would open up more options by getting a frameset only with selected new bits.

As you say fun I presume you would rule out 29er's but consider 26/650B?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nukeproof Mega TR and you will have enough change for a Cane Creek DB Inline shock to replace the super harsh Monarch RT3 and give you a nice smooth ride.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

Lower budget - Mega TR

That.

Although I'd also throw the Lapierre Zesty, Transition Bandit and a few other lighter weight 140mm travel bikes into the mix as well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Mega TR and 5010 are good shouts, another option is the Mondraker Foxy, won trail bike of the year and they've fixed a few issues with the spec for 2015. Super capable bikes that while not the best value still offer a great ride, even the entry level model
  • jon1993
    thanks a lot for the help all your suggestions seem great options I have read a lot of articals that say 29ers are fast but less fun is this a general rule of thumb orr?
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes.

I have both a hardtail 29er and a 26" full sus and the 26" is significantly more fun. I also rode the 29er of the same full sus (Transition Bandit) as well as a few others and again found them less inspiring. For the mile-munching general XC stuff the hardtail 29er is fine.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    jon1993 wrote:
    thanks a lot for the help all your suggestions seem great options I have read a lot of articals that say 29ers are fast but less fun is this a general rule of thumb orr?

That's where 650b / 27.5" come in. They're supposed to offer the extra speed and increased rollover of a 29", whilst still maintaining the stiffness, cornering ability and manoeuvrability of 26". I would consider wheel size last though, as mere mortals are unlikely to notice the difference in 26/27.5" wheel size, certainly not above and beyond the difference you'd notice when riding a whole new bike anyway.

As with others, I think a NP Mega or SC 5010 or Solo would be your best bet.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • paul.skibum
    My two suggestions were not exhaustive - I definitely agree the Foxy would be a potential alternative, Banshee Spitfire, Transition Bandit.

But for the OP's stated budget I would definitely be looking at the Mega TR.
  • jon1993
    Thanks a lot for all the help I will have a look at the suggestions :)
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • rockmonkeysc

But for the OP's stated budget I would definitely be looking at the Mega TR.

Not so sure about that. Terrible quality paint, rear pivot bushes made of cheese, it eats bearings (I use Enduro bearings) and the shock is extremely harsh in the first half of the stroke.
    With a better shock fitted, it is a great ride.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Nukeproof Mega TR and you will have enough change for a Cane Creek DB Inline shock to replace the super harsh Monarch RT3 and give you a nice smooth ride.

That's what nukeproof are including with 2015 mega tr frames when I had a look on crc other night.

Is this cane creek shock much better, does it improve the small bump issue you had with the other rear shock?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    swod1 wrote:
    That's what nukeproof are including with 2015 mega tr frames when I had a look on crc other night.

There's a range of options - that's just one of them.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    swod1 wrote:

Is this cane creek shock much better, does it improve the small bump issue you had with the other rear shock?

Yes it's a major improvement and does fix the small bump issue.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have two bikes which are a hoot. A rigid Kenesis FF29 kitted out with XTR and carbon tubular wheels. Feels like a race bike to ride and that what I use it for. The other MTB I simply enjoy riding is an old Scott Pro racing (rigid) with Shimano M734 canti brakes and a single speed drivetrain. Simple trills really. One bike is quicker than the other but both a great fun.

There is no answer to this question. For me any bike with suspension is not for me. So what for you, well you need to test ride a bunch.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • paul.skibum
    I have two bikes which are a hoot. A rigid Kenesis FF29 kitted out with XTR and carbon tubular wheels. Feels like a race bike to ride and that what I use it for. The other MTB I simply enjoy riding is an old Scott Pro racing (rigid) with Shimano M734 canti brakes and a single speed drivetrain. Simple trills really. One bike is quicker than the other but both a great fun.

There is no answer to this question. For me any bike with suspension is not for me. So what for you, well you need to test ride a bunch.

Seriously? A rigid 29er is the most fun bike on sale today? You need to get out more.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maybe it is the most fun for the middle aged, bearded xc type. For normal people it might not be.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    For me its perfect for the riding I do. That the thing isn't it needs to be the most fun for the riding you do and that different depending on where you live, what you like and how far you are willing/have time to travel. I get decent placing on the race bike in races so it works. What wrong with a beard and XC, don't live near mountains so XC is all I get to do. Don't have the time any more to drive to wales or the peak district as riding time is cut to much.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The 2014 nukeproof mega models look good value if you order quick with crc's extra 10% off code.
  • rockmonkeysc
    What wrong with a beard and XC,

Everything and nothing respectively.
  • paul.skibum
    To me "the most fun" bike must be able to do everything I could ever want it to do - so riding in Whistler Valley, the odd flurry in the bike park but also capable of being brought back to UK to ride my home bridleways, Welsh trail centres, the Peaks, the Alps - My current bike, the Bronson fits that but if I was just in the UK I'd probably go for the Solo/5010 as the same but slightly smaller travel and slightly lighter. A true One bike for all trails - underkill on some, over on other but on 95%of them it'd be FUN.

A rigid bike might be fun on the 5% of trails my proposed 5010 wouldn't be fun on. Each to his own needs and wants though obviously. Especially with regard to beards.