Speedplay pedals

2»

Comments

• Ai_1 wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Seriously, what do Speedplay offer that SPDs cannot?

What do they offer?

Free float
    Double sided - reason enough for me
    Lowest stack height of just about any pedal
    Most ground clearance
    Cleats last years

For what it's worth, I have thought of trying Speedplays...

But to examine a couple of these, I can't say that ground clearance is a particular factor in my pedal choice. Perhaps it's more of a concern if you make really tight turns all the time, but seems more of a pleasing added extra to me.

As for stack height, platform size, etc, all of this just reinforces my perception that none of it really matters that much - as long as your shoes and pedals are comfortable to you, you have nothing or very little to gain in actual performance by changing. The fact that most professionals use whatever the sponsor provides confirms it further. If Speedplay's marketing is to be believed, you'd have to be mad to use the old Look design.

Not remotely saying you shouldn't use Speedplays at all. Incidentally, is long cleat life a general experience with them? Never got that impression before.
    I'd generally agree with you. Some of these advantages are probably mostly theoretical with little real impact for most. However the free float is, IMO, a very real advantage for those like myself who find it adds massively to comfort.
    Yes, I've had 3 years out of my first set of cleats. They still work fine but show signs of wear around the retaining ring which now rattles slightly when not clipped in. I'm sure I could do another season with them but I have another set waiting so think I'll replace just to be certain.

Interesting. Worth knowing. The free float, and amount available, would be the key features for me. What it mostly boils down to is that I think my next pair of shoes will not be SPD compatible... I think if I had the cash, I'd just get some nice carbon soled MTB race/cx shoes and use them for everything.
  • earth wrote:

What do they offer?

a. Free float
    b. Double sided - reason enough for me
    c. Lowest stack height of just about any pedal
    d. Most ground clearance
    e. Cleats last years

SPDs offer a, b, d, e (c is irrelevant)

Plus
    f. zero maintenance
    g. reliable in all weathers and seasons
    h. you can walk normally in your shoes
    I. walking on grit/mud/dirt does not render them useless
    I think if I had the cash, I'd just get some nice carbon soled MTB race/cx shoes and use them for everything.

You hit the nail on the head, Simon, this is the ultimate solution (but not velominati/BikeRadar approved!). I use S-Works XC Race shoes. Lightweight, comfy, rigid carbon soles and useable for all my bikes.

Carbon soles also mean that the marginally smaller platform (of SPD vs SPD-SL/Speedplay) has no affect on foot comfort.

Again, I'm not dissing Speedplays (each to their own), just pointing out their drawbacks compared to SPDs which was the OP's original question.
    earth wrote:
    . . .if by Wilko you mean Wiggins. . .

That's a classic! :lol:
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    As this question has turned into a debate, I feel a strange, child like need to try and justify my purchase. The trouble is, I can't. :oops:
    As I said in the original post, I got the pedals on a whim.
    I have never had a minutes trouble using (mtb style) spd's and they never let me down. I might put a dribble of oil on the springs once a year.
    My touring shoes are nice and stiff and a doddle to walk in. They aren't even worn out so I didn't need new shoes!
    I just fancied a change.
    If they don't turn out to be any better than the spd's (or in fact turn out to be less convenient) then I will just go back to the spd's. I'm not a person affected by fashion or trends and I'm certainly not bothered about what people think about my bikes, so it's not a big problem. :wink:
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    earth wrote:

What do they offer?

Free float - Eggbeaters have 20 degrees. Zeros have a maximum of 15 degrees
    Double sided - reason enough for me - Eggbeaters have 4 sided.
    Lowest stack height of just about any pedal - there'll be microns in it between them and Eggbeaters
    Most ground clearance - ditto
    Cleats last years - only if they're properly maintained, for a few quid every other year you can get CB cleats.

Admittedly the CB product can't compete on pedal weight (but can when cleat weight is taken into account).

Just need to think outside the box (the Eggbeater is an MTB product) if you really want to do all those things, but better.

Oh, the prices aren't bad either.

I've never tried egg beaters but on paper they do look like an alternative. And are apparently less sensitive to mud in the cleat. On the float argument I find I don't even need 15 degrees so 20 is more than enough.
  • I use Time Atac mtb pedals on my commuter/winter bike, and Speedplay Zeros on my summer bike. The Speedplays felt a bit weird at first but I really like them now. In conjunction with a stiff carbon soled road shoe they really do make your feet feel better supported than the Atacs, which I guess are similar to SPDs in this regard. They are also good if you have dodgy knees like me. On the other hand as mentioned above they can be prone to getting muck in the cleat, and they are a bit of a faff to walk in. Sir Brad likes em too apparently :Dhttp://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... nk2-39909/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345

The need for regular lube/maintenance (grease gun? FFS!).
    Fragile mechanisms that clog easily.
    The most difficult cleats to walk in (café covers? Very convenient, not).
    Marketing guff that tells you they're "pro gear".

Alternatively (to the OPs original posting), stick with stiff-sole shoes and SPDs (get real, it's just Marketing that says they are not for road use) and have a solid platform, great float, zero maintenance, low cost, the ability to walk like a normal human and be guaranteed never to clog them because you stood on the wrong type of soil/sand/grit/clay.

Like, what happens if you need to change a tube, in winter, dirty roads, muddy verges? Find a stretch of tarmac, away from the verge, put on your "cafe covers", get out your matching Speedplay sweeping brush. . . .

Okay, I'm being satirical, but if SPDs are good enough for Obree and Wilko. . .

I agree with all that but I can't get my cleats in the correct position usinn any pedal system i ve tried apart from speedplays - which makes them worth all the above

I can't help but accept that if Shimano released a pedal that needed all the maintenance that Speedplay's do then they would be torn to shreds
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    ddraver wrote:
    I agree with all that but I can't get my cleats in the correct position usinn any pedal system i ve tried apart from speedplays - which makes them worth all the above

This. For me it was vital to get my ankle away from the crank and SpeedPlay was the best solution to this (longer axels available). There are downsides, but I like quirky technology and I've grown to love 'em. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I am curious about the comments about eggbeaters and float. I have a pair (<> 8yo) in the garage, but it has been a while since they saw the light of day.

How adjustable are they? I don't recall much adjustment on them.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    cattytown wrote:
    I am curious about the comments about eggbeaters and float. I have a pair (<> 8yo) in the garage, but it has been a while since they saw the light of day.

How adjustable are they? I don't recall much adjustment on them.

Paul.
    I thought they had loads of float but it was just there, not adjustable. Never used them and may be wrong.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I thought they had loads of float but it was just there, not adjustable. Never used them and may be wrong.

That was what I thought, but some comments seemed to be implying they were a match for Speedplay...
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)