Recommend me some earphones please

Andy
Andy Posts: 8,207
edited September 2015 in The hub
The in ear type. No real budget but like everyone, the cheaper the better.

Something durable is a massive positive.

Comments

• mattham
    mattham Posts: 75
    Obviously you can spend anything from a couple of pounds to thousands on these. Really does depend on your budget.

In my experience, Soundmagic E10's are an absolute steal, on Amazon at about £30 (I got black ones for £25 in Feb, red ones are £24 at present, my wife has this colour, they actually look really good), better than anything I could find for at least twice the price. If you get the S version, the S means 'smartphone' with an inline mic and volume and some play/pause control etc, and I think I've read somewhere that they now interface properly with Android as well as Apple muck. They won a What Hi-Fi award in the awards issue this month too.

Review here:

http://www.whathifi.com/soundmagic/e10/review

Buy here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... ROKL5A1OLE

Other winners were:
    Sony MDR-EX650AP - £150 I think
    Shure SE425 - £200
    Sennheiser IE 800 - £600

I found the law of diminishing returns was at the E10's, I couldn't tell the difference until well over £100. Though if you have £600 to spend, obviously the Sennheiser's are better.

Hope that helps,

Matt
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Personally, I was distinctly underwhelmed with the E10s, and have gone back to using my Creative Ep630s - much better sound from those. Bought the Soundmagic E10s hoping for a step up but they arent as good, or maybe they just dont fit my ears...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-EP-630 ... ive+ep-630
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Sennheiser CX400II
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Sennheiser CX300-II,£35 ish retail,bout £20 new on ebay,great headphones for the money,usually get a year out of a pair,6-8hrs at work everyday and use in the gym,they also do sound great on an ipod
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Another vote for Soundmagic. Good value, well built and sound great quality. What else do you need!

I has a few pairs of Senheiser Cx300s before, sounded good but the the build quality was shocking.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Andy
    Thanks for the help everyone! I went with some Sennheisers in the end.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Sorry, too late for this thread but for future reference Joelsim that posts on the road side sells headphones and I believe will give a discount to forum members. http://www.musictoyourears.co.uk/
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The SoundMagics are good, funnily enough just chatting to them about listing them but won't be for a couple of weeks. Other good ones, and the very best I've heard for about £70 ish are the Beyerdynamic DTX or MMX102iE. These have a completely enveloping sound with loads of detail yet they manage warmth too i.e. involving sound. I will of course give a discount for forum members.

There is a law of diminishing returns, a model costing £100 will not be twice as good as one costing £50. But like bikes you tend to get what you pay for in most cases, and some are better than others, and each has a benefit. You can get an earphone, like a BSO for next to nothing but it won't be very good, you can then look at something like the Klipsch X11i at £200 which is just fabulous but for someone who really values hearing every last detail in a recording and listens at good resolution this is a good purchase. A company called AKG sells one for a grand :shock:

What I would really suggest, more than anything, is spend some time looking at reviews if you fancy some Beats, they are way overpriced for what you get. Recently voted 17th in an owner satisfaction survey out of 18 brands. A lot of people think they must be the best as everyone wears them, they are far from it.

The other thing is try to download at a decent bitrate/lossless etc as it makes a huge difference over the standard MP3.
  • Andy
    Joelsim wrote:
    What I would really suggest, more than anything, is spend some time looking at reviews if you fancy some Beats, they are way overpriced for what you get. Recently voted 17th in an owner satisfaction survey out of 18 brands. A lot of people think they must be the best as everyone wears them, they are far from it.

Nobody mentioned beats?

Bought some Sennheiser IE80 in the end.
  • joelsim
    Good choice Andy. Was just wanting to warn people not to waste money on crap.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    These are a steal at the moment - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyer-Dynamic-D ... dtx+101+ie

Beyerdynamic DTX 101 ie - I've got them and they're almost 3 years old now with daily use and no issues at all. Unbelievable sound quality - I would definetely buy again :)

Review here - they won the "£50-£100 Best In Ear" Category in 2011 and 12, and the product of the year in 2011.. :)http://www.whathifi.com/beyerdynamic/dtx-101-ie/review

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • joelsim
    Quite right Bob. A discontinued model now, replaced by the DTX102iE. Wonderful earphones, crystal clear and very neutral. The new model is slightly warmer and bassier than the 101.

Beyerdynamic are one of the very best, the new model is the best £75 earphone I've tried.
  • I've recently purchased Sony Walkman (W273) 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for £44.99 and I'm really pleased with them so far.

They're waterproof and wireless with an in built MP3 player (you'll no longer need an iPod). Which hopefully means no more broken headphones or only having sound in one ear! The only drawback is you can't store many songs on it as they're in MP3 format and wish I'd of bought the 8GB model.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Sennheiser MX365s for me. Last about 6 months. If looked after Im onto my 5th set now, and i have only paid for one, because ive just kept replacing it under warranty, as it has a two year warranty. Win win.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    GT - that's the worst recommendation I've heard. Sounds like a lose lose to me. It's not like they wear out and new is better. Working is what you want.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Bose for me. Got them as a pressie a couple of years ago and have had almost daily use.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    They sound really great, thats why i dont mind getting them again, even if they dont really last that long. And if i had bought ones without any warranty i would have been up to around £50-60 quid now. And i detest those squidgy rubber ones because they keep falling out of my ears. The Sennheisers i mentioned are the "old fashioned" style.

Unreliable earphones pee me off aswell. But i dont bother worrying about that anymore cause i know a nice fresh set is waiting for me at my local PC world for me to simply swap over to ;)
  • Andy
    If I'd had even three pairs of the same model earphones need replacing on warrenty, I'd be demanding they swap them with a better model at no cost. To bend over and accept 6 months as a maximum life span is absurd.
  • joelsim
    They sound really great, thats why i dont mind getting them again, even if they dont really last that long. And if i had bought ones without any warranty i would have been up to around £50-60 quid now. And i detest those squidgy rubber ones because they keep falling out of my ears. The Sennheisers i mentioned are the "old fashioned" style.

Unreliable earphones pee me off aswell. But i dont bother worrying about that anymore cause i know a nice fresh set is waiting for me at my local PC world for me to simply swap over to ;)

I've had my current ones for 4 years. No problems. In fact I'm retiring them as I thought I'd treat myself to a new pair that I love the sound of.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    My Soundmagic's were so good MM minor seems to have nicked them.
    Anyone like to recommend some compact over-ears (for travelling)? Are any of the bottom end noise cancelling worth buying?
  • joelsim
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Anyone like to recommend some compact over-ears (for travelling)? Are any of the bottom end noise cancelling worth buying?

Yes, but as long as you aren't an audiophile. If you want the nth level of detail then noise-cancelling aren't where it is at. If you like music and want really good sound then yes they are. The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 is very good.

If you want absolutely stunning sound and compact dimensions then the Beyerdynamic T51i or the Musical Fidelity MF-200.

And if you want to get a new mortgage then the Beyerdynamic T1...wow! Then again you need a headphone amp with those so you are looking at over £1,000 as a bare minimum, possibly £2,000.
  • Andy

Goldring NS1000
    http://www.whathifi.com/goldring/ns-1000-noise-cancelling/review

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldring-Expedition-Cancelling-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00FBE197I

Love mine as a cheap set
  • My thoughts.

Avoid the bose, overpriced but I dislike bose (and I have sold the stuff before, only good thing is the WAVE clock), B&W in ear phones broke 2 pairs with a wire going open circuit at the jack end.

ATM I am actually loving the stock sony headphones that came with my Z3. But they use the phones microphone for noise cancelling surprisingly good too.

When they give up the ghost I like the look of http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-ex650ap