Ultegra 11spd Chainset with 105 10spd Front Mech

barrowmatt
barrowmatt Posts: 104
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I just fitted an Ultegra 11spd chainset but my 105 10spd front mech doesn't have enough adjustment to allow the bottom front, top 2 rear gears without the chain rubbing on the inside of the mech cage?

Other posts suggest they should be compatible, does anyone have any ideas?

I have also gone from 50/34 to 52/36 and the 28T rear with the 52 front jams the rear mech, is this simply the chain being a couple of links too short?

I do plan to upgrade the rest to 11spd so not overly concerned, just not sure why it didn't work as a direct replacement with the front mech. I didn't raise the front mech as it looked ok, maybe i'll look at that too.

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    That's standard on shimano. In a real world scenario you wouldn't be using those gear combinations but shifting up to maintain a straighter chainline
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    I run the 11 speed 52/36 chainset with a 6700 front mech and it doesn't rub at either extreme so I don't see why it shouldn't work with 5700. Maybe you just need to go back to basics and set it all up again from scratch. Re the chain, yes, possibly it's a link short but also check the capacity of the 105 mech.
  • Having just fitted a complete Ultegra 6800 11 speed set up< I was experiencing chain rub on the front derailleur when setting up and running large front gear and large rear gear and vice versa, ie extreme cross chaining.
    With careful adjustment and I mean careful adjustment and the use of the 'trim' function which is effectively a half change on the front derailleur, chain rub is eradicated.
    Not sure if a 105 front mechanism and shifter has a trim function.