Crash!

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,036
edited October 2014 in Road general
Just got back home after a nasty crash following a snapped chain. Just got out of the saddle to overtake some slow riders and the a rivet pulled out of the chain. Came off my bike and managed to land on: my head, my left shoulder, my left hip, my left ankle, my elbow and my right knee, oh and my bike computer which has a broken screen!

I was out rekkying a course for a road race tomorrow. I can still walk but will have to see whether I'm fit tomorrow morning.

Well no lessons to learn except maybe watch those chains. Who makes a good 9sp chain btw?
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    thats 9. 10 and the dreaded 11 speed modern chain for you... like a Brie when it comes to longevity compared to a decent white Cheshire of yolden days ;-)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    KMC X9L. Bloody good chains and not a lot of money.

Sorry to hear about your prang. Have a good long soak in a hot bath and do a few stretches afterwards.

I think you will find you ache badly in the morning, either way.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    sounds like the bike came out ok thats the main thing.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I have suffered a chain snap on my old mtb many years ago, over the handle bars and face first onto the tarmac.
    Its not a pleasant experiance.

Hope your not too sore and can still race.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Ouch, sounds painful.

Is the best way to minimise risk of this just to keep an eye on chain wear? Or can this happen irrespective?
  • Fudgey wrote:
    I have suffered a chain snap on my old mtb many years ago, over the handle bars and face first onto the tarmac.
    Its not a pleasant experience.

Same here but include a rib cage to the stem too.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Stueys wrote:
    Ouch, sounds painful.

Is the best way to minimise risk of this just to keep an eye on chain wear? Or can this happen irrespective?

Chain wear and condition have to be a factor. I do a lot of climbing and it is quite hard on chains.

Anyway, I got up this morning and was walking better, just a small limp so I did my race which involved climbing an 800m col at the end. I wasn't last to finish but was a way back on some people I'd normally hope to beat. Loosened the muscles up a bit.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof wrote:
    Anyway, I got up this morning and was walking better, just a small limp so I did my race which involved climbing an 800m col at the end. I wasn't last to finish but was a way back on some people I'd normally hope to beat. Loosened the muscles up a bit.

That's the spirit... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    KMC X9L. Bloody good chains and not a lot of money.

+1 I've never snapped a KMC chain but had loads of Shimanos fail.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 68
    davidof wrote:
    Just got back home after a nasty crash following a snapped chain. Just got out of the saddle to overtake some slow riders and the a rivet pulled out of the chain. Came off my bike and managed to land on: my head, my left shoulder, my left hip, my left ankle, my elbow and my right knee, oh and my bike computer which has a broken screen!

It's always worse when you're pedalling hard!
    My worst off was the one I had as a teen, stood up pedalling hard but foot slipped off the pedal.
    Fell head first into the kerb and knocked myself clean out. The days before helmets were worn by all!
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL