Changing the lower legs on Fox fork

Red.Devil.Ghost
Red.Devil.Ghost Posts: 185
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am off the bike for about 6 weeks because of a stupid shoulder injury (I'm hoping to get it down to a month though). I want to use that time to clean the bike up nicely ready for some decent riding. Part of my plan is a possible colour change. This will involve going from white to black Fox forks.

I have the 2011 AMR 5900 (Ghost) and it comes with a standard quick release wheel rather than thru-axle, and they are white. They are the 120mm Fox 32 Float FIT RLC I believe. I don't want a later CTD fork or anything like that. They haven't been serviced since I bought the bike, so I thought it would be a good time to do everything at once. I am more than happy to give it a go myself. I have found these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/FOX-RACI ... RTM1793693

What I would really like to do is take the lower leg bit only (which also has a bolt-thru axle) and use these when I put my fork back together. Can it be done, or are they radically different inside to my current ones?

I was thinking of some shiny new wheels as well and this will help with the colour change and that problem in one go.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Can see no reason why they wouldn't fit but I may be wrong, all the dampers etc should be held inside the stanchions so as long as the chassis is the same, which it seems it should be then you should be able to remove lowers and fit the new ones. get some new wipers and foam rings at the same time too though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as the lowers are the same fit (diameter and attachment to the uppers at the bottom) then swapping them is dead easy. I've previously done similar on some Manitous though that was swapping some lighter weight (magnesium) lowers from a set with a trashed air spring onto a lower spec pair.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Excellent news. That now gives me 5 days to decide if I want to repaint a perfectly good frame. I think I do!
  • You might want to check bushing depth to see if it is the same to be sure that both are at the same depth. Also one thing to think about is the bushings could be sized differently and whats right on one fork is tight in another.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If you're wanting to change the colour of the forks then remember the crown on your forks will still be white unless you paint it so it won't match the new black lowers. I think I got that the right way around?
  • You did. I was thinking of either leaving a flash of white or spraying. Not sure yet.