Ultegra 6600 Rear Caliper woes....

baznett
baznett Posts: 48
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Hi All,

Recently bought some 6600 calipers from someone on here. Started with front brake, works perfectly.

Got to the rear....the drive side caliper arm moves when you press the brake but won't release at all/very little. Now my old brakes where working perfectly before I tried to fit these. I've since changed the outer and cable with still no joy.

Any adjustment that I'm missing like an idiot?
2001 Specialized Rockhopper
2011 Look 585 Origin
2013 B'Twin Forme 5

Comments

• Does it release without the cable attached? The callipers can become clogged up with road grime over time an seize up
  • baznett
    Can't 100% recall as I left it at work but I don't think they did. Any tips on how to get rid of it or is it gonna be a case of dipping it in the parts wash?
    2011 Look 585 Origin
    2013 B'Twin Forme 5
  • Last caliper I had that was sticky I removed from the bike and unhooked the easlilly accessible end of the spring to give more movement. Worked it open and closed a few times to get the worst out and then gave it a good clean and lube.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    You should be checking over any second hand parts before fitting, making sure they're clean and greased appropriately before fitting.
  • baznett
    Last caliper I had that was sticky I removed from the bike and unhooked the easlilly accessible end of the spring to give more movement. Worked it open and closed a few times to get the worst out and then gave it a good clean and lube.

Ah ok cheers, I'll have a play tomorrow.
    Gozzy wrote:
    You should be checking over any second hand parts before fitting, making sure they're clean and greased appropriately before fitting.

I gave them a once over and they looked almost new. Think I'll do the above and stick em in the parts wash and see how I get on!
    2011 Look 585 Origin
    2013 B'Twin Forme 5
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    If it's still sticky after wash/lube, you can strip them down quite easily. A thorough clean and grease will have them tip-top again. When rebuilding, the adjustment of the outer pivot bolt needs to be just right. If not, they'll either bind or be too sloppy.