I don't know about anyone else but

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
If I were a member of our brave armed forces, I would feel far more at ease fighting IS or the taliban rather than Ebola in west Africa.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    edited October 2014
    Wouldn't fancy either myself but massive respect to those that do!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • I was a bit puzzled about this. Don't know what a load of squaddies can do to stop ebola. Apart from the cynic in me saying that it is a way for Dave C to look like a proper statesman, a friend of mine had a different perspective.

They can all be confined to barracks when they get home for the incubation period. Then if there is an outbreak it can be dealt with locally.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • I think it's like with any natural disasters. The armed forces are by their nature highly effective logistical organisations. If you want loads of stuff moved to the right places fast, it's the army you turn to.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I agree Frank, if it were me I‘d far rather fight an enemy I could see.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mxp27824 wrote:
    I think it's like with any natural disasters. The armed forces are by their nature highly effective logistical organisations. If you want loads of stuff moved to the right places fast, it's the army you turn to.

Ebola is by and far NOT a natural disaster.

Why they have sent troops baffles me. I'll second BelgianBeerGeeks friends idea. Incubation periods would be easily contained.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    For the attention of BelgianBeerGeek, not everyone in the Army is a fighting soldier. Most in fact are not. Those sent to West Africa are medical and are trained to counter biological threats as part of their basic training. They will also undergo top up training with regard to the specific threat of ebola. They are probably the best prepared people in this country to send.
    Additionally I think you will find that most of those going do not live in barracks. This is the 21st, not the 19th century.
    Finally those of us who have served in the Army vehemently object to being referred to as Squaddies!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    I caught this on the news, brave brave people and so so young.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu