Marin Larkspur CS1 bottom bracket part number

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
edited November 2014 in The workshop
Hi, I have a Marin Larkspur CS1 (2013 I think, though may be 2012), getting a cracking sound from around the bottom bracket, so I think it may on the way out, though there is no play in the cranks yet. Does anyone know the part number for this bottom bracket? I've googled but I can only find it is a 'sealed bottom bracket', but it looks like there are a few different types. I'd like to change it myself as I prefer to maintain my own bikes (and the rest of the family's!) if possible. Cheers.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Chances are that a Shimano UN55 BB will fit, but you'll need to measure the length of the axle on your existing BB to know which variant to get.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can also look up the cranks and see what width axle it is meant to be matched to.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Thanks for the help. Can't find info on the cranks either! Have ordered the bb tools, so I'll take it apart and see which part it is. From the link from DesWeller's reply, the bb should have the info on the side of it. Bit frustrating, as when I bought my other (MTB) bike I could find a full parts list and anyway the parts have their number stamped on somewhere, so its easy to order replacements.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Surely the cranks have a make and model on them (Usually on the reverse side)......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The cranks are Suntour but the website doesn't tell you what the axle length should be. Good eh?

Presumably it was in the packaging but who knows.

Doesn't take long to pop them off and measure.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Well got it sorted in the end - the BB is 68 x 122 if anyone else needs to know. Got the tools to take out the original BB (was a Chin Haur?), but couldn't remove the drive side (yes, was undoing clockwise!). Had to take into the lbs to get it out (after trying a longer spanner, and clamping in a vice to use the frame as a lever). Turns out the BB had been cross threaded so had to get the BB shell rethreaded. Then fitted the new BB myself and ready to go again! Was a lot more fun though commuting in to work on my mtb for the last week..