Shock Link

2x10
2x10 Posts: 79
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Loud bang from the back of the bike the other day. ( Spesh FSR 07) upon investigation I found the lower rear shock bolt had sheared, digging further I found the shock link split in two, maybe its time for the diet?
looking on the interweb it seems this is not an uncommon problem so I was a bit bummed to find the part is unobtainable. Available in the USA apparently. Has any one else had this occur and how did you overcome it.

My link is currently at a local workshop to be welded. The split was along the line of weld joining the two halves. To me that suggests faulty manufacturing but it has lasted 7 years so I guess it wasn't too bad. When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry many years ago we were taught that the weld should be the strongest part of the component not the weak link!

Cant believe the price of a new bearing kit which I decided to install as the bike was in bits. I started cycling several years back as an alternative to costly gym memberships,ha ha I must have got hooked cos I spend a fortune on my bikes and gear now. - hope the Mrs doesn't read this!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im afraid re welding aluminium frame parts rarely lasts unless you have it heat treated to the original spec.
    I used to be coded for aluminium TIG welding and even back then I wouldn't bother.
  • 2x10
    well, yes I agree but in the absence of any other option at present I'm hoping that it will last for a while and keep looking for a replacement. Ill update here after a couple of trails.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    On the workshop and tech section a guy needed the same part as you but for a shorter travel version of the same bike because his broke and he got it from America
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have you tried a Specialized shop? They should be able to get you a link.
  • 2x10
    In case anyone is interested, I have now done several trail rides with my newly welded shocklink and all is well so far. Dont know if the weld will last forever but its had a pretty tough life so far.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Have you tried BETD. They used to carry a lot of linkages.