Hope Mono 3 rear hub

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Last one for now, I promise.

On building up the new frame I noticed that my Hope Mono 3 rear hub was running pretty rough. I only got it in May and already I've had to have it rebuilt once and trued a second time.

It's had about 5000 km of mostly dry riding, although it has seen a lot of cobbles. I don't know though, I selected the wheels because they were billed as hassle free and bombproof. I wouldn't expect to be having to service the hub after 5 months.

Also how easy are they to service? I don't really want to send back to the shop as they've been useless in support since I firsr ordered.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• You just need to replace the bearings.... they normally last twice that distance, but 5,000 Km is not horrendous and a bit rough doesn't mean they are completely shot. They might do another 5,000. Also, maybe it's only one bearing that needs replacement. The good thing about Hope is that it's all nice and easy and you can do it yourself.
    As for the wheels, they were probably built with too low tension or with spokes which are undersized for your weight... or both. Next time build them yourself
    left the forum March 2023
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Is the the axle bearings running rough or the freehub bearings - when you had it 'rebuilt' did they service the bearings as part of the job?

I've got about 5000 miles on mine before the needed attention - but they have spend the last 9 months idle so I expect a bit of corrosion took hold in the cartridge bearing. It was the freehub bearings, so it's a quick check - with a pair of pliers to pull off the end cap then pull off the freehub by hand.

The freehub was sticking a bit and gathering the chain - but all it needed was a bit of grease to get it going - and I'll replace the bearings proper when I replace the rims in a month or two.