Turbo Trainer Advice

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I've broken my elbow on the MTB this Sunday, so I'm going to be off the bike for a good while. (Elbow wired back together on Monday).

I've never really wanted a turbo of rollers before, I just prefer sticking lights on in winter, but needs must. I'm trying for a sprint triathlon at the end of May, so need to keep the legs spinning. I'm 115kg, so it needs go be sturdy, the house doesn't really have any space either, so I'd want something I could use outside. The bike is a Felt Z95, so alloy. Is something like this from Planet X OK,

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TRRSBL/ri ... mote-cable

or is there benefit to be had for spending more cash. I've never really looked into them before, so advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    At the lower end, turbo trainers are all very similar. You could probably even find a cheaper one.

For your purposes, they will all do fine. Just check to see if there is any weight limit for them but AFAIK, there isn't.

Although I don't envy you riding a turbo trainer outside in the winter!
  • mcnultycop
    I'll use if both inside and outside, I just want the garden option.

What is the benefit in spending more?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I'll use if both inside and outside, I just want the garden option.

What is the benefit in spending more?

No huge benefit really. You can get more sturdier/quieter/more resistance levels/built in power readings/connectivity to TV/etc, etc.

The more expensive ones will have more bells and whistles. For instance, I have 2 - one is a bog standard one that's good to haul around to warm up at race starts, etc. Then I have a fancy one (Lemond), that has all the gearing built in. You take your back wheel off and mount your bike to it.

With the standard ones (like the one you are looking at), just be aware that it will probably wear out your rear tyre, so throw an old/cheap tyre on your wheel when using it.

As long as the one you want controls some resistance, you're good to go.
  • mcnultycop
    Nice one, cheers. I'll get one ordered once the cast comes off.