Defy. Or crud 2

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I have a defy 2 , and want advice on either the giant specific guards or the crud 2's , read some conflicting reports regarding the giant ones, but plus and minus for the cruds to, just like some reviews from people who have used either please.

Regards
Tony.

Comments

• crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    I like the crud guards a lot; they are a workable solution to close clearance frames, and with a little care in handling can be re-used from season to season.

People seem to try to compare them to actual fitted mudguards and are dismissive because they are different, but they are the best option for me. It's important to note that they where designed for use with 23 tyres, so will not work optimally with bigger ones. The design is also not about a rigid structure; they are meant to float and meant to be 'breakable' in the event of anything getting stuck between the tyre and the guard.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    If you can get the cruds to fit without rubbing in places then they give very good coverage for both bike and rider. I have used them on a number of bikes over the last few years. Also had SKS raceblades which whilst they are undoubtedly sturdier, did not give such good coverage around the drivetrain. Recently built up a Giant TCR for winter and clearance was too tight with Mavic Kysriums and Conti 4 seasons. Changed to Open Pros and some Fortezza Tricomp and now run without problems.

All of these are of course a compromise to full mudguards on a dedicated frameset.
  • I used both on a defy.

Cruds better coverage and I got them to work. However I just didn't like them. They seemed a compromise fitment.

I got some giant ones. No major drama. Didnt like the fact you dont get full coverage under the breaks but no major complaints.

The giants broke where they fix to the rear break after about 1500 miles.

I'm now trying sks race blade longs, which seem decent.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I've got the Defy guards and they did exactly what they were meant to last winter. They are a bit tricky to fit, especially on larger frames but once on are nice and tight to the wheel and blend in well - and even keep the spray away!
  • Not sure about the defy but cruds tend not to give very good coverage of the rear wheel when used on (some) small frames, Typically on a small frame the brake bridge is further round the wheel (closer to 3 o'clock than 1 o'clock) which means the crud tail is higher. Not a big problem for you but your clubmates may not be very happy (unless you are sat on the back!). With my small planet X I ended up using one of the sections from a second set of cruds to extend the rear coverage. They are very good for bodging and adjusting like this though!