New bike advice needed

dartcat16
dartcat16 Posts: 4
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I have a 2009 rockrider 5.1 and am planning to move up a grade, CRC have a Cube Aim SL26 on offer also they have a Vitus Nucleus 275 at £380.. Most of my use will be rough roads and some off road I'm really looking for some advice on what people suggest, So far all the mags say stick with the hard tail which I am happy with.
Look forward to any feed back and recommendations...budget is no more than £500
Many thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's polite to attach links to save everyone looking for the bikes....
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod114094
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod107043
    The Cube has a fork that shouldn't be on anything claiming to be a mountain bike, it's a cynical marketing ploy by Cube to rip off the uninformed, steer well clear, its a serious downgrade from what you have.
    The Vitus isn't really much better than your RR, so it's not really moving up a grade.

Look at the RR 8.1 from Decathlon, now that is an upgrade for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi Rookie
    Thanks for the advice on links..first time user and all that, I'll have a look at the RR8.1 this weekend
    Cheers
  • Just to let you know went out last night and bought the RR 8.1, as recommended by you and received good reviews on other sites.
    really impressed with the build and quality fittings...going to spend today getting used to cleated shoes and new style of riding.
    Happy Daze indeed
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Great choice......Good luck with the clipless!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.