App for Finding Nearest Open Bike Shop

wandsworth
wandsworth Posts: 354
edited October 2014 in Commuting general
Ever been stuck with a mechanical you can't fix on the spot, and need to find a bike shop that's open? Even just needed a track pump to top up after fixing a p******* (as I did this morning)? If so, you need @mario's Bikeshop service on Yo app. It's simple but great. I have no affiliation with it, just used it and found it useful.
Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So have you tried it, and how many shops have signed up to it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes, I tried it yesterday. I was on Wimbledon Parkside. I'd fixed a puncture but I couldn't get enough pressure in he tyre so wanted a bike shop that would let me use a track pump. I tried the app and it immediately found me Putney Cycles on Upper Richmond Road. Just tried it again now, sat at my desk, and it immediately found me the nearest bike shop.

Shops don't need to sign up. The app searches Google, which shows opening times. It works based on your location.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited October 2014
    I work on the assumption that if it's between 9 and 5 monday to saturday bike shops will be open. Outside these times Evans, Cycle Surgery, Edinburgh and smaller Halfords tend to open until 7 or 8 and some larger Halfords as late as 10, failing that larger Tesco and Asda stores stock basics like tubes, tyres, pumps and patches and are open all hours excluding the stupid sunday closing hours. If that fails, there are always mobile bike mechanics.

I've always just googled if I'm not sure what's closest is this faster and does it bring up mobile mechanics?

[EDIT]Just tried it (before 5 pm), it missed two shops that are nearer than the one it recommended, both show up on a standard google search. So my verdict is good and worth having but don't rely on it, local knowledge is likely to be better.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • It is possible on the garmin 800 and other garmin units to load your own set of Points Of Interest. Herein known as POI's.

Garmin supply a software tool to do this here
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-12

For example I have a list of bike shops in the UK but there are many others as seen here

http://www.garmin.com/uk/extras-points-of-interest/

On the garmin in the where to section select other and then select your choice, in my case it is called "repair service" this then brings up the list of bike shops with the closest one to your current location first.

14929093873_76b495d4b8_o.jpg

Bike shop poi here.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=14E63569516028E4%211096
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, but that doesn't have the opening hours the top app claims to be able to access......

No use for me as I cycle cross country so there are no bike shops nearer to any of my route than either of my end destinations, so I have to have everything I could reasonable need, or walk. I do stock some extra bits at work so if, for example, I use a tube on the way in, I will have another useable one for on the way home (I carry one tube and some self adhesive patches).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.