Mavic aksium spokes

graememacd
graememacd Posts: 386
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I'm looking at having a go at wheel building as the hub on my winter bike is knackered. I've managed to get hold of a mavic aksium hub and my question is, do I need to use the flat bladed spokes that mavic use or will any straight pull spokes of the right length do the job?

Comments

• Any straight pull spoke will do, but round spokes and straight pull are not the best of friends... any friction in the nipple and your spoke will just spin in the flange without adding tension. If you want to use round spokes grease everything thoroughly both spoke threads and rim holes and keep everything spotless
    left the forum March 2023
  • So I'd be better off just getting the original aksium spokes then? I'm using a Easton rim as well, I assume that won't make a difference?
  • graememacd wrote:
    So I'd be better off just getting the original aksium spokes then? I'm using a Easton rim as well, I assume that won't make a difference?

Your problem is that Aksium spokes only come in one size and cost a lot of money. Basically you made your life overcomplicated by getting a straight pull hub
  • yeah I'm beginning to realise that! It was only £4 on eBay though. Might look at alternatives. If you could recommend a cheap hub/spoke set up for a beginner to have a go at that would be good
  • graememacd wrote:
    yeah I'm beginning to realise that! It was only £4 on eBay though. Might look at alternatives. If you could recommend a cheap hub/spoke set up for a beginner to have a go at that would be good

I would not begin with a 16 holes rim... the fewer the spokes the more difficult the wheel.

If you want to build your own wheels get a set of Shimano hubs and the rims you can afford
  • Cheers Ugo, I'll give it a go. I may be back with more questions!
  • graememacd wrote:
    Cheers Ugo, I'll give it a go. I may be back with more questions!

Look,
    105 hubs 60 quid, Kinlin 279 rims 70 quid, spokes Alpina 20 quid... for 150 you build yourself a modern wide set of wheels which are there with the best