Hydration Bladder

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I recently bought one of these Hydration packs: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Sierra-D ... 4897.l4275

The pack itself is fine and so was the bladder at first. However, unfortunately after a few rides the bite valve has started leaking. I was looking into replacing the bladder with the Camelbak antidote but they are rather expensive for what is essentially a plastic bag. I thought another option would be to just buy the camelbak hose and bite valve but I dont know whether it will fit the bladder I have, does anyone know if they are a standard size/fixing on all bladders?.
Alternatively does anyone know of a cheaper good quality bladder?

Cheers,

Andy

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a genuine Camelback from army surplus, I won't mention the price as it upsets anyone who has paid full price.

It's fitted in a cheap and cheerful mountain warehouse pack.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    What he said. I use a cheap tesco pack with a camelback bite valve. Perfect. It provides the right angle mouthpiece which the tesco one did not and a bite valve that works. I buy mine on my regular visits to the US so probably even cheaper than the Rookie's.
  • I wonder if I could just buy the Camelbak bite valve and see if it will fit into the tube?
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I use a genuine Camelback from army surplus, I won't mention the price as it upsets anyone who has paid full price.

Could you link me to their site?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Hydrapak bladders can be cheaper than Camelback ones. Mine has been in use for maybe 3 years.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Hydrapak bladders can be cheaper than Camelback ones. Mine has been in use for maybe 3 years.

And are much better. Easier to fill/empty and keep clean, better valve.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I wonder if I could just buy the Camelbak bite valve and see if it will fit into the tube?

Don't know your bladder so can't comment but that is what I did with my Tesco one. Works just fine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Rookie wrote:

Could you link me to their site?
    No, it was a local bricks and mortar outlet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I get my bite valves from some Vietnamese seller on ebay. 2 for £8 free postage. They arrived around a week after order and are the genuine article.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-New-Camelba ... AQ:US:1123
  • GrenW wrote:
    I get my bite valves from some Vietnamese seller on ebay. 2 for £8 free postage. They arrived around a week after order and are the genuine article.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-New-Camelba ... AQ:US:1123

Thats good, do you get charged any extra import duty/tax though?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Nope. Nothing - they came with the proper sticky label filled in for customs.
  • GrenW wrote:
    Nope. Nothing - they came with the proper sticky label filled in for customs.

The bite valve arrived today but unfortunately does not fit my bladder's tube :( So looks like i'll be looking for a whole new bladder after all.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use a Camelbak Mule. It was expensive but it's lasted 6 years so far and showing no signs that it will need replacing any time soon.
    To make one for £20 either the quality wont be as good or child labour is used to make it so cheap.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I find the Osprey bladders better than Camelbak and others. Easier to clean and has a stiff back plate to stop them sagging in your bag. Magnetic sternum clip for the bite valve is a nice touch too. I use one with a Dakine Drafter.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8