Buying a track bike

viktor
viktor Posts: 8
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I’d like to start training and racing on the track in addition to criterium/road racing. I’m a 3rd cat racer. I’ll train and race in Herne Hill and Stratford Lee Valley tracks.

I’ve done some research online and it seems Dolan Pre Cursa is a good bike to start with. You can select the option equipped with basic equipment or upgrade some of the components, e.g. chainset Sugino RD2 vs Sugino SG75, and various wheel options.

Questions I have:
Are there any other bikes I should consider, e.g. Hoy Fiorenzuola, Condor, Giant? I’m looking to spend £1k or less.
Which chainset should I consider, e.g. is there a point in upgrading to SG75 from RD2? It sounds like chainset is the most important component after the frame and wheels.
What other items will I have to purchase, e.g. spare chainrings, tools?

Thanks for your advice

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    When it comes to track bikes there's always one obvious brand.. it's Dolan. But there's a reason for it, Terry has a really good reputation and he supplies a really good product.

But on the flip side, Dolan's are a common brand. If you're looking at something different, I'm really impressed by the Moda Arco - http://www.moda-bikes.com/portfolioentry/arco/. It's still alloy, but the aero profiling is really neat and it's pretty racey.

I personally like the idea of a less common brand for my own bikes. It makes riding them feel a little bit more special :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Planet X always worth a look - can get carbon at that price point (not the be all and end all, but good value bikes and were recommended to me by people who work with the BC track team).
  • at HH you can rent one at first to see what size and gearing work for you.

in track, the gear is very important and it's key to find what feels comfortable for you.

come down on Saturdays for the 1pm taster session - show up 30 mins early to get a rental
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    You could also use one of the club bikes if available (I have a feeling I've ridden with you on a chain gang a year or two back?)
  • viktor
    viktor Posts: 8
    Renting a club bike is an option I'm looking into. But also wanted to check what would be a good bike to buy in case I decided to.