Before anyone mentions a "monster storm"

2»

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    What tailwind?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Not too bad at all, a little blowy I suppose. I probably did stiffen up a little in anticipation of being blown off though.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Not too bad at all, a little blowy I suppose. I probably did stiffen up a little in anticipation of being blown off though.

I see what you did there.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    Why does everyone see the negatives?

Some Strava sections are about to be claimed!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    So far it only you London folks that think its not bad, that'll be because you're not in the real path, lets see what the northern contingent have to say ...if there's anyone left :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Not too bad up here, looking forward to the tailwind home.
  • Was getting some PBs in the outskirts but traffic in London was a nightmare especially after PS.... does anybody know what the diversion is and how long it will last. I would describe it as a nice tailwind
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ...siiiiigh....

I would've got PBs all the way along the Eastern stretches, that wind was manic. Sat in the car watching the trees bend and the odd flash of bright yellow belting past.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Nothing too bad in York this morning although for a bit of safety I took one of the lanes rather than the main road and I think that the hedges provided a decent amount of shelter. Hopefully it will have calmed down a bit before going home cos it won't be as fun when its darker.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    itboffin wrote:
    So far it only you London folks that think its not bad, that'll be because you're not in the real path, lets see what the northern contingent have to say ...if there's anyone left :lol:

I confess, the rain-filled 50mph direct headwind put me off today. Shame, as 100 KOMs might have been mine on the way home, were I not going to the big match tonight anyway (Wigan v Millwall, of course).

Turned out that driving wasn't a much better option - had an interesting time avoiding lorries as they crabbed and tacked their way over the Thelwall viaduct.
  • itboffin
    its oddly sunny here at the moment but just a few minutes ago we had horizontal rain, one of the trees in my front garden is doing a fine impression of a dancing toy sunflower, like this ...

6892178813_a7297f802a_z.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Are you sure it wasn't a dancing Groot?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Monster storm? Nah mate, just a bit of a headwind. Slowed me down a bit but great for making the short 7 mile commute a bit of a workout.

Got a bit of a side blast off the Morecambe Bay at one point but not exactly classed as a monster storm. Did enjoy watching cars overtake me on a narrow, bendy road with double white lines in the middle only to drive over a load of debris that made a nice crunchy noise out of the bottom of their cars. I do hope they haven't mashed their exhaust up a bit or something worse.
  • itboffin
    oh no a tree is down in London :shock:

B0dajx8IIAA2zOl.jpg:large
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    My 25 miles was all into headwind this morning. Arduous! I bet the wind changes direction before this evening too...
  • Kieran_Burns
    XCWeather says it's staying a Westerly all day and into tomorrow
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    vermin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I confess, the rain-filled 50mph direct headwind put me off today. Shame, as 100 KOMs might have been mine on the way home, were I not going to the big match tonight anyway (Wigan v Millwall, of course).

Turned out that driving wasn't a much better option - had an interesting time avoiding lorries as they crabbed and tacked their way over the Thelwall viaduct.

Definitely one for the purists!
  • Late for work & hurricane assisted ride to work, scary but fun...

http://app.strava.com/activities/209925528
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    itboffin wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29700594

Not so good. RIP.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    itboffin wrote:

B0dajx8IIAA2zOl.jpg:large

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29700594
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Did a dawn raid in the SW wind, just the 35 gusting 45 knots this morning. Wetsuit now drying before a 3.30/4pm trip back down as the tide drops and better waves appear. Wind down to 28 knots now.

Great day :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    Late for work & hurricane assisted ride to work, scary but fun...

Nice. I'm hoping for some of that action on my way home...
  • PorlyWorly wrote:
    Late for work & hurricane assisted ride to work, scary but fun...

Kudos!!!
  • Thanks guys, previous best over the 10 miles to work was average of 22.1 mph so quite a big improvement over that. Will see just how wind assisted it was when I ride home!
  • vermin
    Good grief: I don't know what it's like around the rest of the country, but I can barely hear myself think here in Liverpool. It's all wailing wind, random crashes and bangs, alarms ringing, emergency service sirens, horses hooves, etc. Much like when there's a game on in town really.

Take care riding home everyone.
  • Made it home. Just. Winds even more insane than this morning coupled with dark & rain. Think the fear of death kept me going albeit not quite as fast as this morning... http://www.strava.com/activities/210060626
  • vermin
    I didn't enjoy that, this morning. Not a bit. 30 miles into a direct headwind to start the day. And the sticks. They were everywhere. Hundreds of the damned things. Even wheelie bins blown across the road, for goodness sake.

And the match last night was rubbish too.

Bah.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Managed to get 10 in the afternoon, not a prticularly pleasant day and not a good idea to ride past a windfarm