Bottle cage bolts - what size are they?

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Guys,
Any idea what size/thread etc. bottle cage bolts are?
As there seem to be two sets (and some for rear rack) on my bike I want to put some lower profile/domed head bolts in - as I don't use them and can't think of an alternative use for them.

Are there any alternative uses for the mounting points?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    M5 standard pitch.

I have some lightweight nylon ones on mine (just to blank the frame).

You can mount some toolkits inside cages, also the ones under the downtube (if fitted) will take a crud catcher.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    M5, length can vary though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Thanks guys!
    Rookie - good call on the nylon bolts - will have a look and see what I can find.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are quite cheap in bulk (min order I found was for 100), but pricey in low numbers, I used to sell my excess on ebay until postage and fee's got so high that any sensible price for the bolts was swamped. I still have a few though in white or black so PM me if you want some and I can give you a price at close to what they cost me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I have made nylon, ally (anodised) and Titanium bolts before.. still got a bag of Ti ones somewhere in the house.

I love owning a machine shop!.. :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have a pair of stainless steel disc rotor bolts in my bottle cage mounts on one bike and a pair of blue anodised alu bolts from an old bike light in the other bike.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap