Sourcing Novatec hubs

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have a source for the Novatex D77x disc hubs? I can only find them on eBay.

Comments

• Yeah, but is it not our friend the Cycle Clinic who sell them on Ebay?

Otherwise for all things Novatec and the latest products BDOP cycling
    left the forum March 2023
  • 964cup
    Thanks Paolo; BDOP are quite expensive compared to UK pricing for the current 711/712 series. I've bought from Velobitz on eBay before with good results, but no-one presently has even the 711/712 in a 28h drilling, which is what I'm after.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    Thanks Paolo; BDOP are quite expensive compared to UK pricing for the current 711/712 series. I've bought from Velobitz on eBay before with good results, but no-one presently has even the 711/712 in a 28h drilling, which is what I'm after.

Hence BDOP is...
  • 964cup
    I'm looking at building a second wheelset for my cross bike - Novatec 77x, Stans Iron Cross, Sapim D-Light. Should come in at 1530g excluding tape and valves, in a 28h 2x build both ends. About £250 for the parts if I can get the hubs (or £300 and a little heavier if I use Hope Pro Evo 2 hubs instead).

So, apart from the pleasure of building the wheels - which is not to be discounted - why wouldn't I just buy Kinesis Crosslight Disc 3s? Look like Novatec hubs to me, DT Competition (I think) spokes, don't know the rim but it's disc only and eyeleted (which the Stans aren't), weight is much the same at 1550g... and they're £250. Nothing factory-nasty about them - no straight pull spokes or weird lacing patterns.

Seems odd that I can't build them myself for less, but that's bulk buying and offshore labour for you, I guess...
  • 964Cup wrote:
    I'm looking at building a second wheelset for my cross bike - Novatec 77x, Stans Iron Cross, Sapim D-Light. Should come in at 1530g excluding tape and valves, in a 28h 2x build both ends. About £250 for the parts if I can get the hubs (or £300 and a little heavier if I use Hope Pro Evo 2 hubs instead).

So, apart from the pleasure of building the wheels - which is not to be discounted - why wouldn't I just buy Kinesis Crosslight Disc 3s? Look like Novatec hubs to me, DT Competition (I think) spokes, don't know the rim but it's disc only and eyeleted (which the Stans aren't), weight is much the same at 1550g... and they're £250. Nothing factory-nasty about them - no straight pull spokes or weird lacing patterns.

Seems odd that I can't build them myself for less, but that's bulk buying and offshore labour for you, I guess...

Because you should read my review of them, perhaps...

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... s-any-good
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Have you tried sdeals?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • 964cup

Interesting. I have a set of V2s on my Croix de Fer (now, sadly, for sale). They've stood up pretty well, but I know they made some changes for the V3; certainly the spokes they (Upgrade Bikes) sent me in July with a replacement rim were DT Competition, not Pillar, and as far as I can tell the nipples were brass (based on weight). The rim is also eyeleted, which the original wasn't. Stupidly, I didn't weigh the replacement before installing it.

I replaced the rim, BTW, because someone knocked me off and turned it into a pretzel, not because of an issue with the wheel.
  • 964cup
    Have you tried sdeals?
    Yes, thanks. No stock, and no 11-speed freehubs even if they did have stock. Looks like the 77x just isn't in distribution in the UK yet. Lots of eBay vendors, but all with 32h only, and claiming 11-speed despite selling D712s, which I thought were 10-speed only.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    964Cup wrote:
    Have you tried sdeals?
    <br abp="816">Yes, thanks. No stock, and no 11-speed freehubs even if they did have stock. Looks like the 77x just isn't in distribution in the UK yet. Lots of eBay vendors, but all with 32h only, and claiming 11-speed despite selling D712s, which I thought were 10-speed only.

Was that based on looking at the website or phoning/emailing them? I don't think they are great at keeping the site fully up to date but they ordered everything I wanted quickly on request. Really nice service.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 964Cup wrote:

Interesting. I have a set of V2s on my Croix de Fer (now, sadly, for sale). They've stood up pretty well, but I know they made some changes for the V3; certainly the spokes they (Upgrade Bikes) sent me in July with a replacement rim were DT Competition, not Pillar, and as far as I can tell the nipples were brass (based on weight). The rim is also eyeleted, which the original wasn't. Stupidly, I didn't weigh the replacement before installing it.

I replaced the rim, BTW, because someone knocked me off and turned it into a pretzel, not because of an issue with the wheel.

They still use Pillar. They sent you DT comp because nobody stock pillar spokes in the UK, so they probably didn't have any themselves.. they don't build their own wheels, they get them boxed from Taiwan. Nipples are still alloy, but DT comp are supplied with brass hence why they sent you brass.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The D712 can be 11 speed if you order them that way (I do and other vendors will as well if they have there heads screwed on). The D772 is the version with is convertable to different axle standards with a change of end caps.

As for what shops stock it is always best to call as not everything I have is listed on the web or ebay and that will go for other stockists.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 964cup
    They still use Pillar. They sent you DT comp because nobody stock pillar spokes in the UK, so they probably didn't have any themselves.. they don't build their own wheels, they get them boxed from Taiwan. Nipples are still alloy, but DT comp are supplied with brass hence why they sent you brass.

Well, there you go. Chap who knocked me off did me a favour, since I now at least have a rear wheel with decent spokes, the right nipples *and* an eyeleted rim. If I was keeping the bike, I'd be tempted to buy a new front rim and spokes too, and rebuild that.