Slow...

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Should I worry about a slow puncture? When I say "slow" I mean really slow. If i leave the bike a week, the tyre is pretty soft, but still not properly flat. I last rode yesterday morning (14miles) and have just checked the tyre and it probably needs a bit of air before riding again, but I would probably be ok riding it as it is. Its clear that it is letting air out a bit, but if I'm happy pumping it up every now and again, should I just carry on, or would I better changing the tube before the slow puncture becomes a fast puncture in the middle of a ride..?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    IME tyres will normally lose pressure over a few days so I always check the pressures if left for more than about 4 days. It is good practice to check the tyre condition and pressure before every ride if you can be bothered.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Depends if there's a piece of glass or flint working its way into your tyre. If that comes out or goes deeper it'll flat on you straightaway, may be worth checking for embedded debris in the tyre. You're the one changing the inner tube on the side of the road late at night with the rain coming in sideways though, it's all up to you ;-)
  • take the tube into the bath with you and lots of Mister Matey. Pump it up and watch for bubbles.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    The valve is shot, and/or you have a puncture. A piece of glass worked its way through my tyre and into my tube, but stayed there and caused a very slow puncture for a week. I should've worked up the motivation to investigate it sooner, seeing as I did over 70kph on it!
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • I have that happen fairly regularly (2-3 times a year) on tubes with removable cores, like the Conti race 28. Take the tube out, put a good amount of air in and put it in a bucket of water to see where the air is coming from ( if it's fast enough to see). Normally I see a few bubbles form from the valve.

If it is the valve, take the core out, put a small amount of Vaseline on the core and screw back in using pliers. Viola.
  • christ almighty just change the tube
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Iron-clover - thanks for that - checked the tube, was a very slight leak from the valve, and it does have the removable core so did as you said it seems to be ok - pumped it up Saturday morning and its still ok now!! Will see how it goes.

Oscarbudgie - times are hard man!! :wink: The original question was actually out of laziness - can I keep riding on it, or should I stopping being so lazy and sort it out!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"