Bought a bike!

mcvw
mcvw Posts: 270
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

So I casually stroll into the Giant, St Paul's store this morning - on the premise of taking a look at the 2015 Defy Advanced 1 that they now have on display (it was actually the Advanced 2 model I was aspiring to).

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 188/77290/

No question, the 2015 Defy Advanced 1 is a lovely looking thing (in my opinion) - very sleek/clean lines - probably largely due to the seatpost design and having discs brakes instead of rim brakes. However, the Advanced 1 and 2 are priced over my budget - plus neither are currently available until Feb 2015 :(

However... the 2014 Defy Composite 1 - which was positioned just next to it, and on sale - turned my head, and once I checked out the spec (all Ultegra apart from the BR561 brakes - and 22 speed!) I was hooked. A quick visit to Google and I discovered that Rutland Cycles have the same bike - in my size (Medium) - in stock - for a bargain £1099!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 976/66539/

The long and short of it is that Giant St Pauls price-matched Rutland - and gave me 20% off some Look Keo Plus pedals.

In all a total saving of £512! Ok, I have got last years frame/model, but in my view the Ultegra components and the money I saved makes up for not having the latest/greatest tech :D

Thanks,

Mike
2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
On One 4560b

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    mcvw wrote:

In all a total saving of £512! Ok, I have got last years frame/model, but in my view the Ultegra components and the money I saved makes up for not having the latest/greatest tech :D

Thanks,

Mike

Don't worry about that. In some cases the latest models have further compromises in spec as inflation pushes the manufacturers to meet perceived price points.

Just tuck the £500 saving away 'til spring and splash out on a wheel upgrade
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Mike,

Good buy, what does it weigh? Regarding the BR561 brakes, I had those on my bike and they are ok in the dry but a bit slow to react in the wet. Either change the pads for SwissStop BXP blue, or with the money saved from your budget, buy the 6800 calipers to match the rest of your groupset.
  • mcvw
    mcvw Posts: 270
    Hi DJ,

Thanks - it took me some time, but I got there in the end :D

I don't know what it weighs but it felt pretty light to me. I also couldn't feel any noticeable difference between it and the 2015 Defy Advanced 3 (which is Tiagra).

When I collect the bike this evening I'll ask if they can weigh it for me (it'll have the pedals on then too).

Cheers,

Mike
    2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
    On One 4560b