Interesting Question Raised About Schumi's Accident

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/for ... 3--f1.html

I've often wondered the effect of having a camera (or light) on your lid in the event of a crash.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'd file it in the anecdote category to be honest. I'm sure there are some circumstances where something mounted to a helmet could alter the effect of an impact, probably the same as someone having a water bottle in a rucksack in a cycling accident. I.e. possible but circumstantial.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The thought crossed my mind. I don't use a helmet camera but in winter I do have an Exposure Joystick on my lid. I would pretty much need to hit the ground with the top of my head for it to be likely to become an issue though. I suspect it is a risk but much less of a risk than when skiing.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    Yes - I'm not taking it as anything other than an interesting question. Part of the way any helmet works is by spreading the energy over a wider area to reduce localised pressure. A camera mount tends to do the reverse. And, for sure, I made far use of my snowboarding lid than I ever have my cycling lids :roll: :shock: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Interesting but, ultimately, irrelevant to cyclists, as we've learned on many a closed thread that it is not possible for a cyclist to hit his/her head on anything whilst cycling.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    vermin wrote:
    Interesting but, ultimately, irrelevant to cyclists, as we've learned on many a closed thread that it is not possible for a cyclist to hit his/her head on anything whilst cycling.
    ?
    I have had to bin one helmet following a crash.
    Or, were you being sarcastic?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    wooooosh!

Now could someone point me to the section in the coronor report where it apportions blame to the GoPro or is this pure speculation to bring down the share price?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    vermin wrote:

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    iPete wrote:
    wooooosh!

Now could someone point me to the section in the coronor report where it apportions blame to the GoPro or is this pure speculation to bring down the share price?

Er - there isn't a coronors report .... not until there's a death ... ?!
  • slowbike
    GoPro have said that the glue on the mount will detatch the mount under heavy impact, however a downward hit that pushes the whole unit into the helmet would make me question the validity of that statement.
    But, what's the risk of that happening?
    What's the risk of hitting the end of a branch with the same effect?
  • meanredspider
    What do GoPro know? When I contacted them about my failed mount, they responded by saying I'd over-tightened the screw. So I asked them for the torque spec. They said they didn't have one!!! I did point out that it would be hard to show that I'd over-tightened it then. If they're that chaotic, I doubt they have good controls on the sticky pads.
  • slowbike
    If they're that chaotic, I doubt they have good controls on the sticky pads.

Do you think that perhaps you got hold of a monkey rather than someone "in the know" ? Perhaps Mr Schumacher's accident was a little more high profile than your broken mount ... ;)

Although you could consider that it's a bit of a calculated response - state that the mount should break away then hope to god that the testing you're now going to undertake proves that to be the case ...

and what about the strap ons? How much of the mount breaks away with those? Does it leave a bit sticking up that could be detrimental in the case of a crash? But, like I said before - what's the odds - would it be any different to hitting your helmet on a branch/rock/bolt ?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Slowbike wrote:

Do you think that perhaps you got hold of a monkey rather than someone "in the know" ? Perhaps Mr Schumacher's accident was a little more high profile than your broken mount ... ;)

Although you could consider that it's a bit of a calculated response - state that the mount should break away then hope to god that the testing you're now going to undertake proves that to be the case ...

and what about the strap ons? How much of the mount breaks away with those? Does it leave a bit sticking up that could be detrimental in the case of a crash? But, like I said before - what's the odds - would it be any different to hitting your helmet on a branch/rock/bolt ?

did this conversation drift off into places I *really* don't want to think about???? :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    did this conversation drift off into places I *really* don't want to think about???? :shock:

You have to consider all possibilities you know ...
  • meanredspider
    Slowbike wrote:

No - I was definitely talking to someone as much in the know as they have. Dealing with GoPro is a miserable experience. They're obviousky a company that has grown way too fast for them to keep up with
  • slowbike
    No - I was definitely talking to someone as much in the know as they have. Dealing with GoPro is a miserable experience. They're obviousky a company that has grown way too fast for them to keep up with
    Oh well ... perhaps it's just arse covering then ...

My dealing with GoPro was a positive experience - having lobbed my GoPro on a suction mount in the waterproof casing to my wife and missed, it fell and hit the sea wall, breaking the black clip that holds the casing together, thereby opening the case and depositing the whole lot in the sea ... I managed to rescue the bits and washed/dried the camera. I obviously needed a replacement black clip ... but couldn't find one anywhere.
    Emailed GoPro asking for advice on where to source a spare, they asked for photos of the broken clip and sent me a new clip FOC ...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    arran77 wrote:
    vermin wrote:

:lol:
    I must have missed the memo.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Surely the psychological impact of wearing a camera is a greater danger:

1: the urban cyclist thinks: "I have a camera, if I get hit I'll have evidence" so rides less cautiously.
    2: the sports rider thinks: "I'm recording this, don't bail" so takes more risks.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • firstly I suspect but equally can't prove that mounts do little or no difference to helmets but I guess unless someone does a proper testing it will be that, speculation.

and secondly http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/30/michael-schumacher-doctors-update-condition-accident

to quote "Payen said the impact had been on the right side of Schumacher's head" I assume the camera and mount would be the top?