Cavendish at the 2014 Gent Six & Zurich 4 Day

Comments

• anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Thinking of going over, any does and don't from those that have been would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    anjasola wrote:
    Thinking of going over, any does and don't from those that have been would be appreciated.

Thanks.

No don'ts really. Just have a good time. CX at Kokjside on Saturday and consider a trip to the Tour of Flanders Museum in Oodenarde.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    God dammit, looks like I ll be coming back from Russia that day :( I was about to ask Geit van Gent for a forum favour and stay on his couch! :oops: :oops:

Oh well, will try and get into Rotterdam I s'pose
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    God dammit, looks like I ll be coming back from Russia that day :( I was about to ask Geit van Gent for a forum favour and stay on his couch! :oops: :oops:

Any time you like. Het Volk?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    ddraver wrote:

Anyone want to meet up over a Primus at the track on Fri, Sat or Sun let me know
    @JaunePeril

• ddraver wrote:

Anyone want to meet up over a Primus at the track on Fri, Sat or Sun let me know
    I've got centre tickets for friday. I can either see you there or we can meet at the bar that sponsors my club beforehand.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Guy on the ride this morning said that the crowd went crazy for Keisse last year and a couple of the sessions went until 2 am. Here's hoping...

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Guy on the ride this morning said that the crowd went crazy for Keisse last year and a couple of the sessions went until 2 am. Here's hoping...

He's brilliant! Either meet could be good. I'll confirm with you Goat shortly beforehand
    @JaunePeril

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Guy on the ride this morning said that the crowd went crazy for Keisse last year and a couple of the sessions went until 2 am. Here's hoping...

Perfect.

Roll out of the velodrome, head straight to the club, for some of Flanders' 'finest'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHqTHDoTS8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2C_WQFdhKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0M703prHw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM5W7Xn7FiA

• Absolutely brilliant links! Chapeau sir!

Derny bike-cam! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zRSTLGykk
  • anjasola wrote:

Thanks.

No don'ts really. Just have a good time. CX at Kokjside on Saturday and consider a trip to the Tour of Flanders Museum in Oodenarde.

The only don't I can think of is, if you have tickets for the seating in the stands, don't hesitate to wander down under the track to watch some of the racing from the mosh pit interior of the track, as your ticket allows you in there. With bars at each end it's a heaving pub with bike racing going round the walls.
  • Amsterdam 6 is now on Europort 2.
    Niki Terpstra is riding for one.
    Kirby commentating.
    Amsterdam velodrome is a shed. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The Derny racing was awesome!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Paul 8v wrote:
    The Derny racing was awesome!
    You could ask the Wingrave Brothers (Old Kent Cycling Club) who owned and rode Derny's pacing at Herne Hill.
    Much more authentic than those slow little Manchester Keirin racing machines. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    Amsterdam 6 is now on Europort 2.
    Niki Terpstra is riding for one.
    Kirby commentating.
    Amsterdam velodrome is a shed. :)
    But if you missed the other Thread.
    Re: Cavendish to ride the 2014 Gent Six

20/10 - 25/10 Amsterdam Netherlands
    23/10 - 25/10 Grenoble France
    November
    18/11 - 23/11 Ghent Belgium
    26/11 - 29/11 Zürich Switzerland
    January
    02/01 - 07/01 Rotterdam Netherlands
    08/01 - 13/01 Bremen Germany
    22/01 - 27/01 Berlin Germany
    29/01 - 03/02 Copenhague Denmark

So off we go on Monday with "Live" British Eurosport 2 @18.15 for 210 mins from Amsterdam. to 21.45
    Tuesday "Live" 19.30 for 135 mins to 21.45.
    Varied start times but the 6 days all finish "Live" at 21.45.

I thought it was the last Hour every evening that the "Madison" took place, after the assortment races for points.
    The "Six Day" race is won on the Madison's General Classment at the end.
    You saw last night how the only place to gain Laps is in the Madison and then the points gained are secondary if they are not on the same Lap. :!:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    When I was watching Rotterdam last year they did smaller races between the Madison (like derney races or scratch races) which also counted for the points. but effectively the number of laps decided the major placings with points just sorting out the also rans
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Reading an interview with Sercu today (not only a big cheese at OPQS, but the organiser of the 6 and the record holder for most six day wins) he says they had long discussions with Wiggins for this year and that he wanted to ride as much track as possible.

He claimed the three sticking points were him wanting to be paired with Keisse (not possible to pair a QS rider with a guy from another team in an event organised by QS), money (he's already paying Cav so he can get him at a lower rate, I presme) and Team Sky.

@gietvangent
  • One week to go!

If anybody fancies a beer next week, Pm me and we'll sort it out.

There was a great interview with Cav and Keisse on the news here last week. Cav swearing his head off and Keisse trying to teach him how to say Gent properly.

@gietvangent
  • Paul 8v
    How DO you say it out of interest?
  • Paul 8v wrote:

It's got that weird dutch Gh sound and the e sounds like "ai" in english. So imagine a slightly harder H and it's Haint

@gietvangent
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    Blimey! Is Joop Zijlaard still pacing? He's been at it for decades. And is it Gent where they have a cordoned-off section with 'dancing ladies' in need of some clothing?

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • Don't know as yet what tv or video will be coming out of Belgium, but Brit Eurosport schedules
    do have the final Sunday down for (hopefully live) coverage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deejay
    Cavendish to ride Zurich Six

Mark Cavendish is set to add the Zurich Six Days to his off-season track calendar. Cavendish is already riding the Ghent Six, which takes place from 18-23 November, but he and Omega Pharma-QuickStep teammate Iljo Keisse will ride the Swiss race just three days after wrapping up in Ghent. 26-29 November
  • Looking forward to this next week, got tickets for the centre of the track and it looks like a party atmosphere all night
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

It's got that weird dutch Gh sound and the e sounds like "ai" in english. So imagine a slightly harder H and it's Haint
    I'm now sitting here talking like a madman trying to work this out :-)
  • deejay
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

The Dutch rider Peter Gesink that the commentators pronounced it like English reading.
    These days however they pronounce his name as Hesink. :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Would be careful of DG's description.

Remember, he's hearing it with that weird Flemish accent.

Bit like learning to speak English with a bunch of Scotts. You'll get there, but let's face it, it all sounds bloody weird.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    deejay wrote:
    The Dutch rider Peter Gesink that the commentators pronounced it like English reading.
    These days however they pronounce his name as Hesink. :roll:
    They pronounce Peter 'Robert' as well.
    Twitter: @RichN95