Fork nuts and bolts

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Last time I disassembled the cheap Suntour fork on son's MTB I had no issues until I came to putting the final screw in place.

At the foot of the forks instead of a bolt with an allen key head, these forks have a nut which attaches to a threaded pole at the foot of the damper / stanchion. Left went on fine, but I really struggled getting the right one on as I think there was a touch of cross threading / mangled thread in the section of this threaded pole which extends slightly out from the bolt.

The forks are getting stiff again (diagnosis - dirt getting past the seals, and no permanent lubrication feed inside the forks) so I am minded to take apart, clean and re-grease again. Not a big deal particularly, but I don't want a repeat of the nut issues.

How would you approach this? I presume a tap and die of the right pitch / thread would be the right answer, but that's not likely to be something I can come across. Would just running the nut on and off lots of times whilst the fork is disassembled resolve the issue?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    clean the threads.

or change the forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • larkim
    nicklouse wrote:
    clean the threads.

or change the forks.
    £100+ option is not an option.

How does one clean threads? When I last reassembled, they were "clean". But they were equally a bugger to get sorted - I had to gently (but sufficiently) clamp the rod in place, taking great care not to clamp too hard or else I would have squashed the very thread that was already giving me problems. And there was only a very narrow gap in which to insert something which gave any clamping force at all.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    £100.00?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-Dar ... 4addce663f

Not the best but adjustable rebound, fully rebuildable and the seals don't leak water like the Titanic.

Had a pair on my commuter/run around for the last 5 years and have done nothing other than carry out a damper service (replaced o rings).
  • larkim
    Fair point, but I don't have any appetite for replacing worn and battered with second hand, particularly down at that end of the price spectrum. For a non-expert like me, too many unknowns!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Clean the threads as in chase them with a tap and die set. Or take a look at these:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rock ... tAod3DAAWg
  • larkim
    Thanks. That's a tempting price for the XC28 I must admit - I know it's not a great fork, but £40 vs my dodgy repair skill sounds tempting. Though of course there is always more to it that I could easily get wrong - crown race, cutting the tube, SFN installation etc etc.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    it's worth it for a vastly better fork ;-). Adjustable rebound, full hydraulic circuit. Tough too (well it is heavy!). But for that cash, I'd go for it.