Anthem 27.5 2. Wheel upgrade

chrisrct
chrisrct Posts: 22
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi just bought a anthem 27.5 2, I was wondering if anyone could give advice on a worthwhile wheel upgrade,from the stock giant wheels, would stans crests or the like be an upgrade, not sure how the stock wheels compare,thanks

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I'm guessing they came with the s-xc2 wheels as my trance did. I didn't find anything wrong with them, upgraded to the p-xc2 wheelset off the trance 1 to save a little weight, plus they came with the better compound tyres (currently my spare set of tyres) and the better cassette and then sold my original Wheelset for the price I paid.

I'm in no rush to upgrade mine now, both sets seemed more than capable.
  • What sort of riding do you do? If you do mainly xc stuff, crests would be ideal.
    I do a lot of trail centres and Peak District. On my Trance I had Mavic XM719 with Superstar hubs which were a good wheelset.
    Rim width is also a consideration. I think crests are 21mm which is good. Wouldnt go smaller than 19mm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Alpines are a little lighter than Crests, 19mm, it's what I'm using for my new wheel build and they will be used for XC and trail centre red's on my Kraken. Very impressed by how stiff the rim is compared to my previous wheelset (Also lightweights - Ryde Egde7).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Wider rims are better. There are some good DT Swiss options for rim and mate to Shimano XT hubs or hope I suppose. Those rydes are bit flexy aren't they no my cup of tea at all.

Your riding type is important. For my 29er I will going with Velocity blunt 35mm wide rims as I am currently riding tubulars without any backup if it goes wrong. Tubs are fine for racing but I am chancing it at the moment. The extra weight does not bother me but the ride and handling improvements of a proper wide rim do mean something real to me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wider rims are not 'better' they have different attributes!

Shimano hubs are nice but pretty heavy compared to much of the opposition like Hope, Novatec or Chin Haur sourced ones.

The Anthem is an XC bike, so to me your priorities are different to those the OP is likely to have on that bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok thanks for replies,have gone with crests due to mostly xc use
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Good choice. Alpines aren't an option in 650b anyway.