Inner Tubes

surrey_commuter
surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Tyres have been done to death but I can't find much about Tubes. Are they all much of a muchness? I seem to have always bout Specialized but would Conti be an upgrade? I have a Scott CR1 if that is relevant.

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Buy whichever has a bundle deal on. Always worth having 2-3 spares, especially this time of year when the rain and wind are blowing all sorts of crap on to the roads.

FWIW I tend to use Conti but that's mainly because they're readily available and tend to be cheaper. I've used loads of others and never found anything to separate them in terms of performance or reliability.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Impac road tubes don't fold up tight and are a bit heavier but all the maor brands are very similar. Vittoria tubes are 20g lighter than conti race 28's.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Beware the inner tube with the removable valve (eg Continental!) - it can be hugely not very much fun pumping up a tube on the roadside to find the valve unscrewing with the pump hose!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Broadly similar I think. Planet have there own tubes now which are good value.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Rolf F wrote:
    Beware the inner tube with the removable valve (eg Continental!) - it can be hugely not very much fun pumping up a tube on the roadside to find the valve unscrewing with the pump hose!

Yeah, I've just had this exact problem. What exactly is the point behind it and why shouldn't I go through all my tubes and superglue the valve in place? My arms were jelly by the time I had finished re-doing it...
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    5 for £15 for Specialized tubes from southdown
    Colnago Addict!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,095
    dilatory wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Yeah, I've just had this exact problem. What exactly is the point behind it and why shouldn't I go through all my tubes and superglue the valve in place? My arms were jelly by the time I had finished re-doing it...

yep been there :(

now screw it on tight before I start
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dilatory wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

One advantage is that if you break the valve, you can retrieve one from a deader inner tube and fix it. Otherwise it is just a device to make you angry!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Schwalbe lightweights for choice, but anything at all for jersey pocket duties. Halfords 5 for a tenner usually covers me.