Llanberis Pass in November - conditions?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
I'm planning a ride that will take me over this towards the end of the day/early evening in mid November.

Just looking to work out what I might be in for...

How bad can it get up there??

Comments

• It's not high, it's not difficult and it's an A road. It's even on a bus route. No more of a problem than any other country road at that time of year.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I live on Anglesey so cycle it often.

Can be some pretty extreme weather up there sometimes gusty winds & a heavy rain showers, I have being soaked a few times. Weather changes fast, & is very localized in the mountains.

I carry a light weight jacket in my saddle bag in the winter, only for emergency use if I have a puncture in horrible weather etc. For cycling I always just wear short sleeved jerseys & shorts & carry arm warmers/cycling cap.

Road conditions are fine tarmac is in good condtion the ToB used the road. Traffic isn't usually to bad either.
  • rodgers73
    That's reassuring! Thanks for the info
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well it will be dark for you at that time of evening. You'd need good lights to ride down it.
    As has been said - its often windy - but its not that high a road.

Unless it snows - and then all bets are off.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Weather changes fast, & is very localized in the mountains.
    +1. It might not be that high but the wind blows through whatever the direction and can be bitterly cold.

Might be worth planning an alternative if the weather is not looking favourable.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • rodgers73
    Well, I rode over on Friday, at the tail end of a 200 mile ride from Doncaster to Holyhead. I set off at 5.00am and went through Sheffield, over the Pennines via Bakewell and Buxton (2nd breakfast at Buxton Morrisons!) and dropped down onto Congleton. It rained heavily right from the start all the way until I reached the Cheshire plain.

I was nice and soggy by the time I rolled into Chester where I had a lovely big pub lunch, changed into dry gear and set off again in dry and bright conditions. Went through Mold and Denbigh and was surprised how relatively flat the roads were, then the sun went down and I went over the moors on the A543 to Pentrefoelas where it got really cold and the climbing started!

Had a short stop there for a warm in the local shop then took the A5 to Capel Curig and diverted off over Llanberis. It was still and traffic free all the way up and I was surprised how easy it was comparatively speaking. The descent was tricky with only about 30-40 yds ahead of me being visible, so my brakes got some heavy wear!

The last section was straightforward - over the bridge onto the island then along the A5 once more up to the port. Arrived at 10.30pm, checked into Travelodge, had a long hot shower and ordered a large delivery pizza!

Top ride - shame I missed a lot of scenery in the dark though.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    That sounds one epic ride - particularly with lots of it in the dark!! The descent to Penrefoelas is fast enough in the light. Chapeau.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Nicely told story, more of that please :)

Well done, that takes real commitment to get out that early in the morning into rain with a very long ride ahead of you.
  • rodgers73
    To be fair, I knew I was going to clear up by 11ish so it didn't feel too bad :)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    That sounds like a fantastic experience! Thanks for telling us about it. I'm looking forward to the next one...
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Awesome ride. Maybe next time do it in summer ?
  • rodgers73
    I've just entered an audax that does a broadly similar route. This one was planned as a cold/wet/miserable ride though!