Shoes & Pedals

Snowblind
Snowblind Posts: 75
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

Been quite a while since I've visited the forums and I was a MTB last time I came here!!

I've decided to take advantage of the cycle-to-work scheme to get myself a road bike to improve on general fitness, and quite looking forward to it if I'm honest. My LBS recommended SPD pedals, which I've never used before, and I thought if I'm going to do it I may as well do it properly. Can't very well go putting a pair of DMR V8s on a road bike now, can I!!

So I bought the pedals they recommended which are some Shimano PD-A520 2 bolt MTB pedals. Their philosophy was that MTB SPD shoes typically have rubber lugs which clear the cleats and therefore, as a beginner, this will make putting my foot down at traffic lights, etc... easier. Once I've used the bike over the Winter and am comfortable with the clip in/clip out thing I can look at get some more racey shoes (that can take 2 bolt cleats) as Spring hits and keep the MTB shoes themselves as a Winter shoe! What they were saying made a lot of sense in my mind so I went with it.

Now, having given you a little background, on to my question!

Will any shoe be compatible with SPD cleats/pedals as long as the cleats fit the shoe? For instance I have been attracted to these MTB shoes on CRC which take a 2 bolt SPD cleat:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xc50n-mtb-spd-shoes-2014/rp-prod69961#

Will the PD-A520 Shimano pedals/cleats be compatible?

Thanks all!

Edit: If anyone can recommend any other shoes I should be checking out in that price range, please feel free! Always happy to listen to those more experienced than me :)

Comments

• cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited October 2014
    Yes as long as the shoe has the 2 hole spd cleat system fittings then they will be compatible with the SPD pedals.