Winter Gloves

ETreeson
ETreeson Posts: 88
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I'm finally commuting by bike 5x a week - and plan to ride through the winter. Now, I rode a few times during the start of the year and I'm pretty happy with all my kit, except the gloves. I've got loads of pairs, plenty of which claim to waterproof but actually aren't.

My question is, are there actually a pair of warm, waterproof gloves suitable for deep winter commuting? For context, I ride a 32 mile round trip to work, so will require a pair that is actually waterproof, rather than just shower proof. I also don't want to spend millions on some Rapha-esque layered mess. One pair - simples.

Thanks!

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    ETreeson wrote:
    My question is, are there actually a pair of warm, waterproof gloves suitable for deep winter commuting? For context, I ride a 32 mile round trip to work, so will require a pair that is actually waterproof, rather than just shower proof.

Possibly
    ETreeson wrote:
    I also don't want to spend millions on some Rapha-esque layered mess.

....then, No.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    BTW - "Deep Winter" = what in your mind?

"Deep Winter" = very sub-zero - so rain and water resistance isn't much of an issue. Layering gloves is the most effective way of keeping hands warm (lobsters - Assos are great and quite cheap if carefully shopped - are perfect)

In rain, I've found neoprene the most effective (again, Assos, having tried cheap before, are so much better)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Ok - sub zero possibly, but not "very" sub-zero (I live in SE England after all)...

I'm talking the days when it's bitterly cold and the rain soaks you through - that's when I want toasty digits. I had considered neoprene but the consensus is they stink after only a few rides. Are the lobsters waterproof?
  • meanredspider
    ETreeson wrote:
    Ok - sub zero possibly, but not "very" sub-zero (I live in SE England after all)...

I'm talking the days when it's bitterly cold and the rain soaks you through - that's when I want toasty digits. I had considered neoprene but the consensus is they stink after only a few rides. Are the lobsters waterproof?

OK - "Shallow Winter" :wink:

Yup - true about neoprene - but I find my bibs stink after a few rides too. Amazingly they don't after they're washed :wink:

I wouldn't say lobsters (at least Assos lobsters) are waterproof. They don't do a bad job of keeping the water off whatever gloves you have on underneath. Honestly, though, for me it's all about warmth not staying dry. I've tried SealSkinz (rubbish) and Assos's most expensive single glove (Fugu) which leaked. I've since stuck with the Assos Early Winter glove (great all-rounder but the new version isn't as good as the 851 version) and the lobster for sub-zero (plus a liner - I use a Gore running glove) if it gets properly cold: minus 5C to minus 11C.
  • I have some Sealskinz lobster gloves that are very waterproof, so much so that my hands are bathed in sweat if I wear them and it's above about -2°C. Also they fill with rainwater if you have the cuffs badly aligned.

I've found Specialized Radiant gloves to be a good mixture of warm, windproof and water resistant. Not quite waterproof, but I agree with MRS, there are worse things.
  • meanredspider
    I have some Sealskinz lobster gloves that are very waterproof, so much so that my hands are bathed in sweat if I wear them and it's above about -2°C. Also they fill with rainwater if you have the cuffs badly aligned.

There's the problem with waterproof gloves: your hands sweat so get horribly wet anyway and they all have a big hole where you put your hand in.

Do what you do with the rest of your body - layer up.
  • I have some Sealskinz lobster gloves that are very waterproof, so much so that my hands are bathed in sweat if I wear them and it's above about -2°C. Also they fill with rainwater if you have the cuffs badly aligned.

There's the problem with waterproof gloves: your hands sweat so get horribly wet anyway and they all have a big hole where you put your hand in.

Do what you do with the rest of your body - layer up.

I would recommend them for *really* cold weather, but yes, in the temperature range I enjoy wearing them, waterproofing probably isn't your priority.

I tend to have three different winter gloves, Some Craft Weather ones for when it's not too cold, they're not the most comfortable, but keep quite my hands dry and out of the wind. Then I move to the excellent Specialized Radiant gloves, which are comfortable, windproof and waterproof and good to below zero. The lobster thermadore ones come out for the coldest of the cold days.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Planet x Roubaix seem to work pretty well, there not waterproof but for some reason seem to stay dry.

I think they have them on sale for about £5
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Suffered for years with getting the right gloves.

Now I wear:

1. Defeet dura gloves above 5 degrees

2. Castelli Diluvio when wet and above 5 degrees

3. Pearl Izumi lobster when dry and below 5 degrees (only gloves I ever found that I could wear comfortably into the minuses)

Wet and zero? The Pearl's still work but I'd only use them if I get caught OUT in those conditions really.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I wear Icebreaker merino gloves (light ones when it's about 5 and slightly thicker 'fleece' ones under) under a pair of Gore Windstoppers until it gets towards 0. The Windstoppers aren't waterproof but the merino underneath seems to keep me warm enough on the commute. My first winter I had a pair of night vision ones but my hands always ended up sweating and then feeling cold.

I did buy a pair of Sugoi lobsters last year but the weather never really got cold enough to try them out. On the couple of occasions that I thought about it, my hands got too hot just getting them on.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,664
    I have some Sealskinz lobster gloves that are very waterproof, so much so that my hands are bathed in sweat if I wear them and it's above about -2°C. Also they fill with rainwater if you have the cuffs badly aligned.

I've found Specialized Radiant gloves to be a good mixture of warm, windproof and water resistant. Not quite waterproof, but I agree with MRS, there are worse things.

+1 for the Spesh Radiants. Seem to keep your hands dry and not too sweaty, but a bit overkill for this time of year. The insulation is outside the waterproofing, though, so they can get a bit waterlogged.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I have these, wore them all of last winter and was surprised by their comfort and found them to be very waterproof. They have a nice liner so don't feel clammy once you have sweated in them for a while. I suffer from poor circulation in my hands and usually struggle to keep them warm when the weather turns wintery. These gloves performed very well.

I'll be buying another pair if mine need replacing this winter.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/endura-equipe-exo-waterproof-glove-2013?gclid=CKuS2pmTrMECFY_ItAod9AoAjA
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Layers.

It's all about layers.

Get gloves that keep you dry and get some liners that keep you warm. Buying gloves that try to do it all is a bit like those 2 in 1 shampoos. They're a bit rubbish in comparison to shampoo and conditioner.

Plus, the liners are the bits that get smelly and they can be washed / dried more readily.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    ETreeson wrote:
    Hi all,
    [...] a pair that is actually waterproof[...]

I bought a pair of these Pearl Izumi gloves cheaply and tested their effectiveness by using them like Marigolds when washing apples (cider-making) - passed with no leaks/internal dampness. Not warm, but then liners can add such.
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    I used to think there was no such a thing as a good, waterproof glove. Until I bought a good waterproof jacket, which sleeves did not let water penetrate into the gloves by soaking! ;)

Since then I highly rate Sealskinz Ultra Grip for temperatures 5-10° and Endura Deluge for anything below 5°.

If it's above 10° - DeFeet Duraglove is a great glove.
  • Px Roubaix, with latex gloves under if it's wet. Campag Steam for super cold but dry.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    rjsterry wrote:

+1 for the Spesh Radiants. Seem to keep your hands dry and not too sweaty, but a bit overkill for this time of year. The insulation is outside the waterproofing, though, so they can get a bit waterlogged.

Cycle Surgery have Specialized Radiants for £17.50
    if you have tiny hands
    Px Roubaix, with latex gloves under if it's wet. Campag Steam for super cold but dry.
    +1 to latex inside normal gloves, really keeps your hands warm when it gets down to -10C.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • think I might just go for windproof (but water resistant) gloves with liners if its cold and see how I go from there
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Liner gloves.

Turn fairly average outer gloves perfectly acceptable.

I wear Terra Nova Thinny's (although there are loads of options made of silk or various man made fibres). Not only additional insulation but wick really well so cold moisture doesn't sit next to skin.

I have never worn a single glove for (cold/wet) cycling or snowsports that outperforms a liner glove and outer.
    Even though I suffer from cold hand and feet I can wear liners with Pearl Izumi Cyclone (PI's version of windstopper) gloves all through winter.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Castelli Estremo for really cold/foul weather.
  • I bought a replacement pair of Endura gloves (Strike i think) as my first pair had been good. As waterproof as anything else i'd tried. Have also used them skiing on none baltic days perfectly happily.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • I run hot so some light windproof gloves are all I need, or I end up with hot sweaty hands...