Advice on frame

Joeblack
Joeblack Posts: 829
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

Im currently looking for a winter bike and have found one (CAAD10) at a good price on the net however its a long way from me, the problem is although it was listed as a 58cm frame I questioned the seller and he said hes measured the top tube from centre stem to centre seatpost and the measurement is 56cm, now looking at the geometry chart the bike must be a 56cm, that is unless hes measured it wrongly etc, so iv asked him to double check, my question is if he comes back and says the bike is a 56 would I be able to get away with it?

the geometry for the 58cm CAAD10 is exactly the same as my summer bike which I ride a 58cm with a 100mm stem, but the 56cm CAAD10 is 1.5cm shorter on the top tube, and 2cm shorter from the seat tube to the bottom bracket,

I am 6'3" with a long (ish) torso and kinda normal size legs, like I said I ride a 58cm now with a 100mm stem and lots of room left to play with on the seatpost, so could I possibly get away with maybe a 120mm stem and the seat post extended a little more on a 56cm bike?

Like I said its for a winter bike but I don't want to have to buy something im not comfortable riding,

thanks in advance
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Do you want a more aggressive set up for your winter bike?
    You would have a more significant drop on a 56. What is your current saddle height to bottom bracket? Saddle tip to centre of bars measurement?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    This is not a failsafe solution but there may be more comfort provided if the seller could ping you a photo of the frame 'badge' which states frame size - whether XL or 58 - I presume this will exist and may offset what may be incorrect measurements by the seller.

Peter
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Meant to say, I wouldn't mess around with different size frames if at all possible and I would have thought that something like a CAAD10 would, with a bit of patience, be available in all sizes on the used market.

Peter
  • Joeblack
    Thanks for the replies guys, I will have a measure of my
    Bike later,

Pete, thanks for the response, I would normally just count a 56 out but it's a good price and there haven't been many caad10's out there in a 58, tbh I find most second hand bikes are in the 54/56 range,

I agree re the sticker and have asked this however I feel it's probably been removed, as I camt
    See it on any of the pictures but we shall see his response.
  • Joeblack
    He's come back and said its defo a 58 and he measured the top tube wrongly, so I'm going to have it
  • Joeblack
    He's come back to me today after I committed to buy and collect the bike
    On Saturday and said this ..

"ok , if you want to travel through on Saturday that will be fine.. I'm sure you will be happy with the bike, it has the clicking BB which I'm sure you are aware of but i have replacements you can take with bike, the forks have discolouration which is common with the carbon fork on these CAAD 10 s.."

By discolouration he means the white paint on the forks has started to yellow, it's visible in the new pics he's sent and tbh this puts me of more than the bb creaking but obviously that's not ideal either.

Now I really don't want the bike so I think I'm going to pass but does anyone have any thoughts

The problem is these caads in my size don't ce up too often
  • I have a White CAAD10 on which the forks have begun to discolour. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might vex someone a little more exacting than myself. If it's a winter bike, it'll maybe not be quite so visible. I'd have though with your avatar you'd want a 2012 CAAD10 4/Rival.

Changing the BB isn't a big job, though.