160mm to 180mm rotor adaptor?

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Hi,

Wanting to upgrade my avid rotor to 180mm upfront on my hard tail. What adaptor do i need for this?
I have Avid juicy 7's and Rock shock Rebas.

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's uprate. You need a 180mm version of the type you already have on there.
  • a 10mm adaptor?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Chunkers said. Depends whether your forks are post or IS mount, and whether your caliper is post or IS (likely post).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • How do I distinguish whether both things in question are post or IS?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    How do I distinguish whether both things in question are post or IS?

9ailL.jpg
  • Cheers,
    the one i have is the 51mm international standard.
    Could someone send me a link of the product i need?

Cheers
  • cooldad
    Look on CRC or Superstar for a 160 to 180mm IS to post adapter (presuming your brakes are post).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod13749

is this the right adaptor?

Cheers
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Will that be ok with avid brakes?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes. Just use the washers you already have, if present IE the tri align.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    It's uprate. You need a 180mm version of the type you already have on there.

Why uprate and not upgrade?
  • Chunkers1980
    Upgrade refers to better quality. Bigger rotor is bigger, not always better. A bigger rotor might be worse, it definitely is heavier all in and equal
  • Neither word is right in this case. Its change.

Uprated and upgraded in this case would be the same thing, and you would measure this against the stopping power of the actual brakes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your a weight weenie its a downgrade, a bigger disc also reduces progression, so stopping power is just one factor isn't it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Either way, neither upgraded or uprated is the right word. So as an aside, what is the purpose of the bigger discs? Sports cars have bigger discs than small super minis. There must be a reason for it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    More power and better heat dispersal but at the expense of modulation.
    I like 203 rotors on my downhill bike but prefer 180 front / 160 rear on my xc bike.
  • The Rookie
    Cars are different to cycles, bigger discs are fitted to cars to increase heat capacity, there is plenty of power available with much smaller brakes but they overheat to quickly or you have to spend a lot on materials.

As RM says the best brake for a bike is the one that matches to its usage, I run 160/160 on my bike and that copes just fine with all the riding I do, if I was running just a bit more downhill usage I may consider a 180 front, that would be when I start to either get arm pump (having to pull the lever to hard for too long) or they overheated.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Why can't it be uprated? It's currently rated at 160mm now it's rated at 180mm, so you've upped it. Either way it's a better discription than change as it tells you what's happening. It's certainly not upgrade.
  • The Rookie
    Would increasing the weight be uprated as well then?

160/180mm is a dimension not a rating anyway!
    rating
    1. a classification according to order or grade; ranking
  • Chunkers1980
    That's a by product all else equal.

Your classification there, order, going up the order of size works for uprated.
  • The Rookie
    Argh, so a bigger size bike is uprated, a heavier bike is uprated, longer cranks are uprated, a longer stem is uprated, glad you cleared that up as I wouldn't have thought that at all.
  • Chunkers1980
    Indeed. If you move up size wise from one to another. Doesn't make that better though.
  • We will have to agree to disagree on that one. You would use uprated to describe going from a 5amp to 8 amp fuse or something like that - the fuse 'does more' so its uprated. Changing the size of something doesn't mean its uprated; that means that like The Rookie says, if you go up a bike size its uprated, which isn't right.

I will agree its not upgraded, but that depends on the actual discs themselves. They might be an upgrade!

But thank you for clearing up the info about brake sizes and the like.
  • Chunkers1980
    If you use your fuse example by going to a bigger disc you are giving it more braking force available. Yes you can upgrade discs, but that is nothing to do with size, that's why I said all things equal - ie changing one variable at a time.
  • Not really. Going up a fuse rating provides more protection, which is a fact. Not allowing for faulty parts, there is no way an 8amp fuse wouldn't provide more protection and so is therefore uprated. However, with something like the discs, it has already been stated that going bigger doesn'tt necessarily mean more stopping power - here is no guarantee of improvement. Therefore, it can't be said that they are uprated, simply changed.

Like I said though, we probably won't agree. It's not really all that important either. The point has been made that just because he gets bigger discs it will mean they stop him quicker!
  • Chunkers1980
    Yeah we probably won't. But going up in disc diameter provides more available brake force - that's pretty similar to your fuse example. A fuse is just a wire, quality doesn't matter if it does its job of doing what it does.
  • The Rookie
    Not really. Going up a fuse rating provides more protection, which is a fact. Not allowing for faulty parts, there is no way an 8amp fuse wouldn't provide more protection and so is therefore uprated. However, with something like the discs, it has already been stated that going bigger doesn'tt necessarily mean more stopping power - here is no guarantee of improvement. Therefore, it can't be said that they are uprated, simply changed.

Like I said though, we probably won't agree. It's not really all that important either. The point has been made that just because he gets bigger discs it will mean they stop him quicker!
    Going down a fuse size gives more protection, a 5amp fuse blows before an 8amp, so if a device will be damaged by 5.5amps an 8amp fuse is useless.......

Back on topic, a bigger disc is neither an uprate or downrate (or grade) it's just different, like a downhill bike is different to a hardtail, you wouldn't do an XC race on a Glory, or race at FW on a Superfly, neither is better than the other, they are different and better suite different uses.
  • Touche.