Random clanking noise driving me to despair

easybiker
easybiker Posts: 21
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
My trusty old Specialized Hardrock has acquired a new feature. It makes random noises. By which I mean completely random, not related to chain, pedal or wheel revolutions. The noise is a single clank, like someone tapping the metal frame with a hammer. It does it on average, probably about 10 or 20 times per mile. It does it whether the ground is bumpy or dead flat, whether I'm going up hill or down, whether I'm pedalling hard or light, and even when freewheeling. There is nothing to be felt through the pedal, no momentary chain slippage. Cleaning the drive system makes not the blindest difference. The bottom bracket is fairly smooth with only the tiniest looseness. I'm fairly sure it's not that. My gut feeling is it's at the rear rather than the front. Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tried shaking it in case something is loose inside the frame?

Checked wheel bearings for slop?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's louder than something loose inside the frame, and it doesn't happen when manhandling the bike, turning it upside down etc. The wheels don't seem to have any play in them, if that's what you mean by slop in the bearings.
  • Does it happen if you freewheel as well as when you pedal?

I had noise, not a clank as such but a very annoying noise similar at times to a clanky type noise and it turned out to be loose spokes in the rear wheel.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • sounds like worn bearing cones ( cones pitted causing bearings not running smooth ) to me if its oldish bike , have you ever had the bearings regreased etc ?