Childs Mountain Bike Fork issue??

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Ive sold my sisters son's Cube mountain bike for her but have query regarding the forks. Basically its a 24in wheeled Cube mountain bike with Suntour forks, Should I be able to compress the forks all the way down? I know Ive never been able to on an adults bike but im trying to ascertain whether the forks are knackered or not. The bike is in excellent condition and hasnt had much use so if they are knackered I cant see how they could of been.

Just need to check as dont want to rip someone off!

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What do you mean by all the way down? Many forks will have circa 15mm of stanchion showing when compressed through all the travel, the quoted travel also often includes the bump stop[ length which is hard to use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cogsy1976
    I can actually feel the bottom of the forks it feels easy to bottom out if that makes sense
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If that is using all the travel, then I see no issue, the forks seem sensibly sprung for a lighter child (many are too stiff).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cogsy1976
    Perfect thanks :)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    do they move for your daughter though?