Garmin herat rate monitor, which one?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I think mine has finally packed up. Should I replace with another hard strap or the new soft strap version? I have read a few bad reviews of the new one. Also there seems to be two soft strap versions one with a grey strap and one with a black strap; are they basically the same product?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Just get any ANT+ product. Decathlon have one at £29 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-coded-digital-belt-id_8321463.html. Admittedly I have seen the Garmin one at £30 on Handtec.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I can't comment on other brands, they may work better and be compatible.

But the premium HRM from Garmin, is shocking in my opinion. Everyone in the club has had a problem with it of some sorts, mine gave up after 6 months. I got the hard plastic one and it is still going after 1.5 years, has its moments when I am riding with a loose top on, see spikes of 220bpm. Comfort wise, I didn't notice the premium when riding and I don't notice the hard cased one now.

I suspect the other soft strap is a newer version, maybe Garmin fixed all the bugs with the one I had.

Hope that helps
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Had the soft strap for 2 years now and I wear it every time I'm out for a run or cycle (just habit). I've never had a problem with the soft strap, works every time, even wore it in the water for a triathlon. It's comfortable enough not to be noticed (if tight enough not to slip down your pigeon chest). Needs to be cleaned every now and again as something is growing on it... Ebola?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby