Red Light Sensor Thing

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
This....

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/kickstarter-project-allows-cyclists-to-hack-traffic-signals-42680/

Seems like a fairly reasonable idea doesn't it?

It should save people jumping red lights and taking risks but I guess some people just won't bother with it and would rather continue as they are.
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    What's the point, who stops for red lights? ;-)
    Not much point round here, rarely get to a red light without any cars for company. Besides, that thing is fugly.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    There's one in my village now and if I'm there with no cars I just get off, walk 'round, get back on and cycle away. Perfectly legal and safe.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Steel cleats do the same job.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There are a couple of sets of TLs I used in the past that I had change by using a couple of tricks.

Shine my Magicshine at the TLs when I set it to flash, not all lights were fooled.
    Those TLs with criss cross lines on the approach, ride over the join of the lines, one set was always triggered in my favour so the bus lane filter changed and the other traffic had to stop.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Not much point round here. The lights all turn red just as I approach and don't turn green till I put my foot on the ground.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Kurako wrote:
    ...don't turn green till I put my foot on the ground.
    Hidden button on the floor.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    What's the point, who stops for red lights? ;-)
    Not much point round here, rarely get to a red light without any cars for company. Besides, that thing is fugly.

all seem to be on timers as well so even at silly o'clock they roll though there sequence.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Some lights' sequencing change at night. When I was working for an agancy I was finishing some nights at 2am so riding through TLs at 02:30 and the lights would be green as I got to 100 yds away then change to red as I got closer then change again to amber /green as I was just about to unclip and they'd change to amber just as I cleared the junction.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    bit of a stretch to call it a hack, you are just presenting a higher signal to the electromagnetic sensor which is exactly how the darn things are supposed to pick up things in the first place, it just so happens every so often you find a group of them not always callibrated properly

it would be useful as there are a number of traffic lights round my way that perpetually refuse to acknowledge my existence, but Im not paying $99 to solve that
  • End of my road has on demand lights. Trouble is they go through a sequence. It's quicker at night to change but still.takes too long to change. It's been in for about a decade.

I never stop at them because for years they never detected me on the bike. A month ago I had to wait for traffic on the main road to pass so I could pull out. Just as it cleared and I started to pull out I saw the lights changed. Something has happened to the sensor to make it more sensitive. I still just pull out because it's early and no-one is around.