Brake leavers click out

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Prob a stupid question when i was on the bike the other day the break leavers click quite far out , is there a reason for this?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Click?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah if you push them instead of pulling then they then click onto that position
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats normal on some brakes. Did they spring back again?
  • No they just stay there.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    timboellis wrote:
    No they just stay there.
    Until you click them back. Presumably, or they'd be broken.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Same thing on my maguras mt2, has to do with the reach adjustment, when turned all the way in closer to the handle bar some times the spring holding the lever in position overcomes the resistance of the plunger and pushing the lever out again, in other words counteracts its purpose. but not all brands have the same problem.
    What brakes have you got?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I've got avid juicys and they do that. It's not a problem, just don't push them when you brake.
  • Its not a problem it was just something i noticed, i have a Boardman
  • I think this is a feature on Avid brakes, you push them forward and they "click" out for when you take the wheel out on the trail -then if you acidentally knock them whilst there is no disc to clamp it doesn't pull the brake on and over extend the pistons......at least that's what I always used it for. Just remember to put a spacer in there if you are transporting your bike in a bag as it's not enough if it's going to get bashed.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    timboellis wrote:
    Its not a problem it was just something i noticed, i have a Boardman
    and the brakes are?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown