Brake levers on tops - yay or nay?

dilatory
dilatory Posts: 565
edited October 2014 in Cyclocross
I am building a CX bike up for a bit of muddy fun, a few races and as a winter bike. I'll be running mini-v and will assemble next weekend, wondering whether it's worth adding levers to the tops? I've never ridden a cross bike before but only really use my tops on road bike when pootling about or on a long steady climb. Are they that useful?

Comments

• My opinion is no, not that useful. I've taken them off my boardman and can't remember wishing I had them back on...
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Worst

Idea

Ever

Lose 'em
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Well I thought as much. Just wanted to make sure they weren't some super secret CX treasure. Will continue with build as planned. :D
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Unless you're going to do the Three Peaks, apparently.

Otherwise, no. Drops are for descending.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    If you are going to use the bike for commuting as well then they're pretty useful. But I haven't used them at all whilst racing ( only two races mind)
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Commuting yes b/c a split second of reaction time counts.

Off-road they're dangerous. your hand are too close together to have any leverage and if you hit a root at an angle you'll lose it for sure. A regular bump can shake you off whereas in the drops your hands are more hemmed in.

I look at it this way, MTBs have migrated to super wide (73cm) bars so having levers 10cm apart is not optimal. However I noticed that a couple pro women use them.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.