Winter bike that doesn't weigh a ton!

2»

Comments

• NaishTT
    NaishTT Posts: 47
    Cheers CookeeMonster. I suspect that either the Whyte or the Rose with a few mods will indeed work out cheaper than a build.

I'm tempted by the Rose as well, although the DX-2000 is as far as my budget will stretch. With a couple of mods would be 10% lighter than the Whyte which is a lot.
    - Which size did you go with compared with your normal road bike? The geometry looks tall and short but maybe that's just my eyes deceiving me?
    - Did you stick with the 46/36 crankset or make any other mods?

I hope its all you're dreaming of when it arrives!
  • Hi, I went for pretty much the same size as my road bike. They have a size calculator where you input inseam etc to get the right size frame...plus they show you how to measure your shoulders and arm length to get the right stem and so on. The cranks they recommended were shorter than my current ones, so will see how that goes.

You can configure pretty much anything it seems! Went for 52/36 crankset which wasn't even listed and a saddle which weren't on their website at all except for on a different bike. They go out of their way to accommodate you, you just add a note to the order after configuring it.

To be honest didn't notice the geo being much different to my bianchi...but will find out soon enough!
  • NaishTT
    Thanks for the info - I'll give them a call
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    With regard to the Rose, like cookie monster I just used the online size calculator, compared geometry to my road bike and it worked well for me. I've had mine a few weeks and I'm very pleased with it so far.

1794751_782846391737956_3537161077497425783_n.jpg?oh=a3e27998b95e4d361701d530b72ae852&oe=54920CD5&__gda__=1417933957_ee84914af6a4207c2aaade08e021fd19
  • NaishTT
    Almost ready to pull the trigger on the Rose. Spoke to them today and they can now do full hydraulic brakes :-)

@djp66 - your bike looks great (I'm still torn between the black and the white). Looks like your tyres are predominantly for road use - which tyres did you go with? Ideally fast and grippy on the road in winter but still able to take a towpath here and there!