carrying carbon bike by car - safe ways?

2»

Comments

• anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    E17Blade wrote:
    I have a Thule Euroclassic and would thoroughly recommend it. I have done a lot of miles with it and it has always been absolutely rock solid. Very easy to use too. Not cheap though.

Pic below of my carbon bike on it during a trip to the Pyrenees this year. I put a bit of pipe lagging on the top tube and on the wheel rims for a bit of extra protection - not sure if it is necessary but it stops me worrying. I can also get another three bikes on it if I'm out with the family.

15545811671_15bb115238_o.jpg

This carrier is what I use and would recommend it also.
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    anjasola wrote:
    crikey wrote:
    Not many bikes on the continent are carried on the roof.

Um...

pic96646780_600.jpg

Except by team cars :D

You have obviously never been to Holland then, since it seems to be standard to have at least 1 bike stuck to your roof. I see dozens every day.

mmmmmm.......... I don't doubt what you say but my observations suggest the vast majority of bikes are carried on towbar mounted carriers in mainland Europe the exception being UK registered vehicles which seem to prefer roofbars.
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    I use a Thule 561. I have not used it with my Cervelo but am lead to believe that it is more suitable than the 591 for carbon bikes. I have used it with the Bianchi and it is great. Went all the way to Spain and back this August.
    D
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    anjasola wrote:
    anjasola wrote:
    crikey wrote:
    Not many bikes on the continent are carried on the roof.

Um...

pic96646780_600.jpg

Except by team cars :D

You have obviously never been to Holland then, since it seems to be standard to have at least 1 bike stuck to your roof. I see dozens every day.

mmmmmm.......... I don't doubt what you say but my observations suggest the vast majority of bikes are carried on towbar mounted carriers in mainland Europe the exception being UK registered vehicles which seem to prefer roofbars.

I dont doubt your observations, but from someone who has lived in Germany for 15 years and regularly visit Holland Belgium on a weekly basis, I see a hell of a lot of cars with roof mounted bikes. A lot more than trailer mounted. If you go down to Bavaria the place is a cycling paradise and in the summer almost every car you see has a bike on the roof.
  • I suppose I may have missed it but...what car/type? What else needs to go in the car? Just you? Luggage? Passengers?
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • A bike rack is fine.
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 127
    @dag Audi A5 and, yes, luggage and passengers. Will put in car if space but have to plan for outside car too. Old rails for roof died and new bike to come so .....
    looking into the +1