Is this completely forked?

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Just noticed this on the fork of the Equilibrium, looks to be a lot of bubbling of the paint around the bend of the crown. The bubbles look to be in a distinct line. What do you reckon? Shall I fork out on a new one?

2F0D8D99-1CCD-44FD-80C6-387B6ECCEEC2_zpscs8gvzbr.jpg

Comments

• Is it a steel fork?

Sand it down and check how deep is the rust... you might get away with a simple powder coat, to be honest.

If it's carbon, then strip the paint and see if it's damaged underneath... in the latter case probably worth getting a new carbon frame... although be careful as the equilibrium is designed for long reach callipers
    left the forum March 2023
  • It's carbon. I think the mudguards have eroded the carbon a little from the other side. When I changed them a few weeks back I noticed a few layers of bare carbon.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Aluminium crown? I've seen a few forks with problems at the join between aluminium and carbon. Can't tell if it's serious without removing the paint.
  • I think it's just the paint flaking off as a result of water ingress... it's down to whether it is cheaper to get a new fork or to have this stripped and repainted
    left the forum March 2023
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Just noticed this on the fork of the Equilibrium, looks to be a lot of bubbling of the paint around the bend of the crown. The bubbles look to be in a distinct line. What do you reckon? Shall I fork out on a new one?

2F0D8D99-1CCD-44FD-80C6-387B6ECCEEC2_zpscs8gvzbr.jpg

"Shall I fork out on a new one?" See what you done there................"fork out"............geddit? ahem, I'll get me coat!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    My Boardman forks did exactly the same. The steerer tube and top couple of inches of the fork legs are alloy and the water eventually gets under the paint and corrodes the alloy. The carbon fork blades are grafted onto the alloy.

I masked off the carbon bits and buffed all the paint off with a spinning scotchbrite disc in my bench grinder to get the alloy to a paintable state (lots of white "furr" below those bubbles). I then painted the alloy using rattle cans from Halfords for the paint plus a hot air gun between coats to ensure it was properly dry.They've been fine for the past 18 months but I notice they're starting to go again.

You could go with a contrasting paint scheme for the top couple of inches of the fork to avoid worrying about a colour match. A bit of pinstriping tape can be used to hide the seam or ease the visual transition.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited October 2014
    Or I could pick up the Columbus Hiver fork which is 800g lighter anyway. Ho hum, decisions, decisions.

It wouldn't look good if I repainted it, to be honest. I think you're probably right, though, I hadn't realised that it was more than the steerer that was alu, I guess it makes sense of the heavy weight that Genesis claim (1200g!!).
  • byke68 wrote:
    "Shall I fork out on a new one?" See what you done there................"fork out"............geddit? ahem, I'll get me coat!

Eye thank you!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Yes it is, it's completely forked. In fact the whole bike is a right off. Send it down and I'll get rid of it for you.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes it is, it's completely forked. In fact the whole bike is a right off. Send it down and I'll get rid of it for you.
    Thanks, Veronese, but I'm not sure I could chance your safety.
  • veronese68
    You're such a considerate pachyderm.
    In which case strip it, check it and if its ok do what Mick Jagger said and paint it black.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Veronese68 wrote:
    In which case strip it, check it and if its ok do what Mick Jagger said and paint it black.
    Black as night.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Black as night.
    Black as coal?

That's carbon, that is!
  • veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Black as night.
    Black as coal?

That's carbon, that is!
    Now, this is carbon:
    3m-scotchprint-black-carbon-fiber-wrap-film.jpg