Looking for routes nr North York Moors

Silly Old Hector
Silly Old Hector Posts: 573
edited October 2014 in Tour & expedition
Looking for some advice...

Have a few days holiday booked towards the end of the week, in a small village south of the North York Moors (Slingsby).

Do any of you have any routes, must do spots to try out. I reckon I'll may be have time for a couple of 2-3 hr routes. An option could be to be dropped somewhere and cycle back ?

Thanks in advance.
All the gear, but no idea...

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I have ridden up there a bit,tend to go on the wolds more,but if you want a climb or two,Rosedale chimney bank and north out of Egton Bridge both have 33% parts to them,look at a road map most of the b-roads are marked,you could maybe be dropped at one of the turnings off on the A170 and then meet up at Whitby,this way you could pick a one way route
  • If you want to take in Rosedale Chimney then a nice ride would be to head over towards Pickering then up via Cropton to Rosedale Abbey and then back via Hutton-le-Hole\Kirbymoorside.

Howardian Hills are quite nice to ride as well, head south towards Castle Howard then west though Terrington towards Easingwold, up to Ampleforth, Hemsley and loop back.

For the Wolds, either head south again past Castle Howard and cross the A64 towards Barton-le-Willows then onto Howsham - Leavening - Thixendale, pick a hill towards Fridaythorpe, or flatter route toward Fimber, then round to Sledmere, Duggleby, North Grimston, Langton, Kirkham Abbey etc. Or head into Malton\Norton towards Setterington, West Lutton, Sledmere and then pick up the return of the other route or the reverse of the outleg.

All these routes are in the 40 - 50 mile bracket and include >15% climbs at some point, but feel free to PM me if you want more detailed routes in line with what you fancy doing\want to see etc.
  • Thanks chaps - will stick these on Garmin Connect and plan some routes.
    All the gear, but no idea...