Paris-Tours *spoilers*

13»

Comments

• ridiculous in a way - no Belgium is going to come through once they see that red kite - it's in their DNA. TV had no beef - the young lad rode well.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Love this photo:
    paristours141-break.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Photo by Remy de la Mauviniere
    Contador is the Greatest
  • He reminds me of a mix between Eddy Merckx and Javier Bardem
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    More David Walliams to me, his celebration did nothing to diminish that impression.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    Voeckler’s Paris-Tours disappointment results in fine

Thomas Voeckler (Europcar) couldn’t hide his disappointment at missing out on victory at Paris-Tours in a two-up sprint against Jelle Wallays (Topsport-Vlaanderen), so much so that he headed straight for the team bus and failed to show on time for the podium ceremonies.

While Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme diplomatically said that “Thomas is a rider of emotions,” the commissaires took a rather dimmer view – Voeckler was fined 200 CHF and also lost out on his prize of €3,770 for finishing second.

Voeckler did eventually make his way to the podium to stand alongside speaker Daniel Mangeas, who was feted as he carried out his duties at an ASO-organised race for the final time in his lengthy career, and Voeckler later talked reporters through his race.

At the end of a season without a victory and blighted by two fractured collarbones, Voeckler must have thought he was destined to be the first French winner of Paris-Tours in eight years when he and Wallays rode clear of the break on the final climb.

“Wallays didn’t steal the win,” Voeckler said, according to L’Équipe. “I think that we were the two riders who had done the most to ensure the break of the day survived. Finishing second at Paris-Tours is still a good result after my series of problems, but I’m not satisfied with it. I’m a rider who loves to win. It’s a pity because beforehand I had pictured a scenario like this, a break from distance that survived to the end.”

Paris-Tours marked the final race of a difficult season for the 35-year-old Voeckler. “I don’t feel old but it’s clear that time passes and that my form maybe isn’t the same,” he said. “This doesn’t happen often but, considering my current form, it’s almost a pity that the season doesn’t last for another three weeks.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I watched it again - from 5km in they were both doing 400 m turns - TV flick W through at around 1.9 km and Wallays does a 300m turn TV comes through but 100m later Wallays comes through again (he's not daft!) W does his obligatory 400 m until he spots the kite and more or less sits up. TV goes charging through and doesn't realise he's been stitched up until 800m to go - when he starts his I'm a thoroughbred from the Alsace - come through you Belgian farmer or the peloton will catch us. W ignores then looks back does the Kelly Kalqueuelashun and keeps his cool. Good win
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Tactically excellent ride by the youngster against a highly experienced rider. He did his fair share then won the tactical battle. Dismissing him as a 'no name' rider is harsh, I reckon he'd be a far more familiar face to us in the Classics if he rode for a bigger team.

This has been one of my favourite races of the season for the last few years. The old days of the sprinter's classic are gone and you never know quite what to expect. I'm not sure if the change from World Tour and no radios is partly to thank for this (along with an improved route) but I was watching the Tour of Beijing and thinking how sad it was that race had replaced an established semi-classic on the calendar.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I think they employed the same company that builds the roads for the Giro in italy